These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 #3 gearbox grinding FIX...(my attempt)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  18:52:15  Show Profile
Once again I had another pile of broken stuff. After the success of my plastic pinion fix, I decided to tackle 2 of the many grinding #3 gearboxes I had.

This will not fix broken teeth, but I find that most of the gearboxes had good gears.....but they made horrible noise on startup.

The problem appears to be that the case spreads under load and the axle pin for the center gear hops out of its locating hole. The hole may appear tappered or egg shaped after time.

51.43 KB

I removed the stock pin and installed a 1/4 inch X 1-1/2 inch shoulder bolt (Fastenal) and a lock nut. I redrilled the gear to a 1/4 hole. Run the drill though the gear several times untill it spins free on the bolt. If it fits too tight there will be no room for grease (don't go crazy on it). Then drill out the case holes to 1/4 inch also(these can fit snug) so the bolt passes through the case. After reassembly, install a lock nut on the shoulder bolt. this will stop the case from spreading.

I put my first test set in a 12v super 6 quad today and the farting/grinding noise is gone. (This set wouldn't even move with a heavy kid in tow) The only question now is durabilty....time will tell. I'm off to Fastenal tomorrow for more bolts. I will take some pics of this set as I go. Updates and detailed pics to come soon.

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!

Dylan13
Senior Modder

Oakmont
Pa

1113 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  19:00:41  Show Profile
I always wondered what that awful noise was You gotta get some pics of the finished product

Super Power Gaucho
Peg Gaucho - John Deere Makeover
Peg Gaucho / Peg Gator / Peg Buck Quad
Hot Wheels Lambo - 12v
Enforcer Jr. - 2WD Super 6 - 12v
'lil Sport Barbie - 2WD High/Low rewire
Barbie Dune Beetle / Police Harley / Red Harley
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  19:10:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dylan13

I always wondered what that awful noise was You gotta get some pics of the finished product

Yup...I'll take pics of the set I'm working on now.....I wanted to make sure they worked....... ahhh who am I kidding....just to lazy to get the camera the first time

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  19:50:35  Show Profile
I don't know about yours but my fastenal would only sell me shoulder bolts by the box of 25. It was almost 30 bucks for a box. I Searched on Amazon and small parts inc sells them cheap. I got 1/4 x 5/8 and 1/4 x 3/4 from amazon one was 6 bucks for a pack of 25 and the other was 3 bucks for a pack of 25 so they are the way to go once you find the size you need. The 1/4 x 5/8 are perfect size for drilling out the front Axel holder rivets and replacing them with the shoulder bolts to remove the slop.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  05:15:55  Show Profile
Yeah, they told me that also. I told him I only needed 2 for an experiment...if it worked I would buy lots more. When he entered the part number it gave him an individual price, so he sold me 2. I may buy the whole box now, so I can sell a few if you need them.

Go to Top of Page

hypo21
Journeyman Modder

Bangor
PA
USA

477 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  06:48:29  Show Profile  Send hypo21 a Yahoo! Message
I will be doign this Sunday to the big foot with the same set up super 6's and #3s.

Thanks for the help on this one Taz!!

Getting there... This is just too addicting. Love it.
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  07:00:39  Show Profile
Here is a link to the bolt. This is for a box of 25, but atleast you have the dimensions.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=1126308&ucst=t

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  19:23:20  Show Profile
Better late than never.

The hardest part is drilling the gear. The plastic is so soft, it expands and the hole ends up being smaller than intended. The gear MUST spin free on the bolt for proper lubrication. I had to drill this one many times before it was loose enough.

Here are a few pics of the bolt install.

51.46 KB

47.01 KB

45.95 KB

Go to Top of Page

ttommyb86
Apprentice Modder

peoria
illinois

67 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  20:20:33  Show Profile
So what was the final size bit used?

one man gathers what another man spills
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  04:47:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ttommyb86

So what was the final size bit used?

1/4 inch. I just kept running it through. The next size up (in my set) is too big.

Go to Top of Page

Starwriter
Journeyman Modder

Springfield
OR
USA

131 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  08:09:27  Show Profile
If you get a size F drill bit, it's .257".
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  08:35:38  Show Profile
Taz I got a set of 3b GB that some of the teeth are slipping a bit but the teeth show some wear in spots and look like they are folding plastic to one side. Do you think its worth trying this or just junk them?

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  08:54:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blake711

Taz I got a set of 3b GB that some of the teeth are slipping a bit but the teeth show some wear in spots and look like they are folding plastic to one side. Do you think its worth trying this or just junk them?

I have not tried that yet. I would guess that if you have atleast 1/2 the tooth left, it could work. I'm 99% that the tooth was damaged while the case was deflecting. If you try it, please post the results.

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  14:08:32  Show Profile
Ok well I am going to have to round up some shoulder bolts that long. Will update you once I try it.

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  03:07:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blake711

Ok well I am going to have to round up some shoulder bolts that long. Will update you once I try it.

How did this work out?

I tried this on a customers quad last night. It had 2 teeth that were rounded over on the last gear. In another spot it had a tooth that resembled a healthy speed bump. It fixed the the rounded gear skip. As far as the completely hammered tooth......That runs great too as long as the quad doesn't stop on that tooth. A high torque restart will cause a brief grunt. Under normal driving.....no noise at all.

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  05:29:01  Show Profile
Taz I haven't installed them yet. Right now everything I have has good gb in them. So I was going to wait until got something needing gb to try it out. I will let you know when I do try it out.

Go to Top of Page

ms1120
Senior Modder

M-Town
Georgia
USA

1464 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  13:29:19  Show Profile
Hey, since you arent doing anything else at the moment, can we send you our damaged or wayward gearboxes and you fix em? lol

Fixing things that arent broken...and making them cool
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  13:59:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ms1120

Hey, since you arent doing anything else at the moment, can we send you our damaged or wayward gearboxes and you fix em? lol

Are you talking to me or Taz?

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  14:17:55  Show Profile
quote:

Hey sure.....send 'em. $25 each and I'll send'em back! LOL...........JK

Go to Top of Page

ms1120
Senior Modder

M-Town
Georgia
USA

1464 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  14:42:44  Show Profile
Sorry Blake for the confusion. I was talking to Taz since hes sitting around the house after trying to hack his finger off. lol. Much love Taz. Get better soon so you can finish the fire truck

Fixing things that arent broken...and making them cool
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  14:54:47  Show Profile
quote:

Sorry Blake for the confusion. I was talking to Taz since hes sitting around the house after trying to hack his finger off. lol. Much love Taz. Get better soon so you can finish the fire truck

THANKS
I've been tinkering with the fire truck......just nothing to post. If you've seen one wire....you've seen them all. I see them in my sleep! The finger is stiff...but starting to work again

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  15:08:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

quote:

Hey sure.....send 'em. $25 each and I'll send'em back! LOL...........JK

I can beat that deal - For just $10 each, I won't send them back!

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  15:10:40  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Divinar
I can beat that deal - For just $10 each, I won't send them back!

What a steal!

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)
Go to Top of Page

rolfvanrijn

Indianapolis
Indiana
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  18:54:50  Show Profile
How are your gearboxes holding up after your fix

12v Barbie Jeep --> Black Jeep, LED lights, Horn, Backup Beeper,Sirene.
Yamaha Quad 12v-18v
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: