These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 chozian's 12V Lightning McQueen Project (1st mod)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  18:42:47  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
In the last few weeks, I noticed a craigslist ad for a Lightning McQueen Power Wheels. My son's favorite cartoon character is Lightning McQueen from the animated movie "Cars". So, I knew I had to get this for him even though it was $100. Thankfully, I was the first person to reply, it is the 12 volt model, and it is in excellent condition. My son flipped out when he saw it. He calls it his "speed". Almost daily, he asks me if he can drive his "speed" around outside.

As far as mods go, I've done only three so far. First, I modified the wiring to allow me to charge the stock 12V 9.5Ah battery using the Schumacher Speed Charge Maintainer that I picked up from Wal-Mart. Second, I improved the turning radius on the Lightning McQueen by removing the restrictor notch on the steering wheel. Now my son is able to take much sharper turns. Third, I upgraded it from 12V to 18V using batteries that I ordered from Gruber. It goes much faster now! I made sure to use an inline fuse holder with a 30A fuse for safety purposes. I didn't replace the stock 14 guage wire.

I believe my next project will be fixing up a Dora Lil Quad that I recently got for $10. That one will be for my daughter.

I'm keeping my eyes open for more Power Wheels, whether working or not. I'd like to get one for my nephew. I've been checking craigslist and Freecycle. I eBay all the time, but most of the Power Wheels being sold on eBay are out of my area and local pickup only.

The information and people on these forums have been very helpful to me. Thanks goes to everyone who has and will contribute to this great site.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)

Edited by - chozian on 07/15/2010 08:09:17

badcomp
Journeyman Modder

Andover
Kansas
USA

433 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  18:58:29  Show Profile
Hey, post a pict of how the batteries fit. Which ones did you order.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

aztracks
Journeyman Modder

Chandler
Arizona
USA

118 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  00:37:11  Show Profile
Looks like fun. It's kind of funny how you upgrade to 18V for more speed and he ends up actually going slower since it's so fun to do donuts.

F-150:
'94 Super Sound Jeep Sand Blaster : http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17274
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  06:46:58  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
That's one very nice looking McQueen!

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  07:18:31  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by badcomp

Thanks

I used gseric69's pictures as reference.

gseric69's Lightning McQueen 18V battery setup
gseric69's Lightning McQueen engine compartment modification

I'll post pics of mine as soon as I get a chance. I made the cutout for the 6V battery just a tad too large on mine. So, I had to use some epoxy putty to rebuild about 3/16 inch around the top to hold the battery nice and snug. I hope to have time this evening to sand it down to get the 6V battery to fit again.

I purchased the 6V 12Ah and 12V 12Ah batteries from gruberpower.com.

Gruber 6V 12Ah
Gruber 12V 12Ah

Gruber sent me a Power-Sonic brand 6V and a Leoch brand 12V instead. Though, they meet the same specifications as the Gruber brand batteries.

Chris Hozian

"We may one day have both fame and fortune, and learn that neither is basic for true success and complete happiness." ~The New Era, August 1989, pages 4-5.

12V PW Lightning McQueen @ 18V :: 12V PW Red Harley-Davidson Motorcycle @ 18V :: 12V Peg Jeep Apache @ 18V :: Super 6 PW CAT Tough Loader @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Firerock Jeep Wrangler @ 12V :: Super 6 PW Ford F-150 @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Get Set Go-Kart @ 12V :: 6V Rand Spider-Man Lil Quad @ 12V :: 6V PW Dora Lil Quad (Sold) :: 12V Dumar Yamaha Raptor 660R Quad :: Super 6 PW Barbie Trail Rider Quad :: 12V Yellow Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V Green Peg John Deere Worksite Gator :: 12V PW Classic Chrome Harley-Davidson Motorcycle (Sold) :: 12V Little Tikes Hummer H2 (Sold) :: 12V PW Ford Mustang :: 12V PW Chevy Silverado 1500 (Traded) :: 12V PW Barbie Cruisin' Tunes Jeep :: 6V PW Barbie Blitz Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep :: 6V PW Hot Wheels Lil Wrangler 4x4 Jeep (Sold)

Edited by - chozian on 06/23/2010 07:53:12
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  07:25:12  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by aztracks

Looks like fun. It's kind of funny how you upgrade to 18V for more speed and he ends up actually going slower since it's so fun to do donuts.

Haha! Yeah, he loves doing donuts. I've been trying to explain to him that the tires will wear out much faster if that's all he does. I showed him the "boo-boos" on the wheels and told him that the road did it. He didn't seem to care too much. LOL! It's kind of hard to convince a 3 year old to want to drive it on the grass instead of the road. I should record a video of it driving in the grass. It doesn't go as fast in the grass as it does on the road, but it still goes a very fun speed for him.

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  07:26:40  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by gseric69

That's one very nice looking McQueen!

Thank you! I really appreciate the posts you made for your Lighting McQueen. They helped me out a lot!

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  08:47:36  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by badcomp

Thanks

I finally got around to snapping a couple pics of the 18V setup in our 12V Lightning McQueen. Here they are.

You may notice around the edges of the left side where the batteries meet the plastic of the vehicle that I used epoxy putty to build up that area to provide a tighter fit. I had accidentally trimmed a little too much using my rotary tool. After I let the epoxy putty set, I painted it red using some acrylic paint from my wife's craft supplies. I think it turned out well and the epoxy putty is holding strong.

The sticky looking residue on the top of the blue battery is from some Gorilla Tape that I used to secure that battery in my son's Lil Quad.

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  09:05:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chozian

The sticky looking residue on the top of the blue battery is from some Gorilla Tape that I used to secure that battery in my son's Lil Quad.

You got Gorilla Tape off of something?

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  19:11:02  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Divinar

quote:
Originally posted by chozian

You got Gorilla Tape off of something?

LOL! Yeah, Gorilla Tape is awesome. Thankfully, the tape I used was from a Handy 1" Roll (half width). Otherwise, I may not have been able to remove it.

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page

chozian
Expert Modder

Meridianville
AL (35759)
USA

631 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  16:15:32  Show Profile  Visit chozian's Homepage
All new post for this project will be made at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=144.

Chris Hozian

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: