These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Dora Jeep
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  12:00:12  Show Profile
Not sure how I forgot to post about this Jeep - it went too fast to be a "project"

I saw the ad pop up on my Droid, someone wanted $35 for a Dora Jeep. I almost ignored it, but I'd seen the recent posts about Super-6 motors, so I figured I'd give them an email. A few days later, I finally got a response, and went over to look at it.

I brought my 6v battery with the PW plug to test it, and it failed - even though "It worked fine last time we used it"
The battery worked in their Barbie Quad, so they did believe me - so I got it for $20.

8.06 KB

I get it home, JD and I clean it out ans strip off all the stickers. The F/R switch isn't working, so I pull one off the Lil Jeep (which is down with a burned out motor) and everything works.

I throw in a 12V 10AH battery, which fits perfectly under the hood, and JD is off and running. This one has gotten more use in the last few weeks than anything else in our stable. He especially likes to race his little brother in the Lil Jeep...

(Edited to fix broken "before" picture)

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)

Edited by - Divinar on 06/22/2010 14:05:20

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  12:26:27  Show Profile
Of course, it needed new wires to connect the batteries.
After discussing it with my wife, I put color coded shrink-wrap over spade connectors - she can handle connecting those. Heck, JD did it!

The yellow wire is the fused lead from Wal-mart, I cut down the insulation and put in a 30A breaker.

Both wires go to #10 bolts under the dashboard, where everything else can be connected (Thanks, Taz!)

Within a couple days, JD had fried the pedal switch. I went to replace it, but all I had was two switches with no NC connection. So I added a brake pedal, and two relays to control "go" and "stop"

Of course, we needed lights. I got these from eBay - $4 each with shipping. I'm pretty happy, they're flat and fit inside the little headlight spot, and they throw enough light to see in the back yard - but they must have hired someone colorblind to solder! Of the four I got, two had the wire colors reversed for Positive and Negative (!)

Connected the wires to the #10 bolts - White 12v+, Black 12v-, and Yellow light+

The front grill wired up - After soldering the tiny wires, I covered them with shrink wrap. This part is now "modular", meaning I have to fix the whole bloody thing

I drilled a few holes and snaked the wires under the battery compartment - if I try to go across, someone will pull them out on me

I snaked the rear lights through the wiring channel - the orange wire is from the brake relay and goes to the brake LED.
The heat sinks were from the parts box - they weren't good enough for the Titans, but I wanted something in there to help radiate the heat. So far, so good.

After the wires come out the back of the motor compartement, I ran them up through holes drilled in the web, to taillights from a Lil Enforcer:

Almost done - just need to cover the amber LEDs. Yes, I sprayed some black behind the grill.

Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)

Edited by - Divinar on 06/22/2010 16:37:09
Go to Top of Page

jfoust
Senior Modder

Atlanta
GA
USA

2419 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  12:47:19  Show Profile  Visit jfoust's Homepage
Nice! My daughter loves her Dora jeep, and so does my son once you throw 12v at it! I haven't gotten around to doing LEDs or anything with it yet.

Current Fleet:
Super6 Vette, Grave Digger w/ 19T's, Gaucho Grande, Dora Lil Quad, Eliminator w/ 21T's, 12v Harley, Safety 1st C5R

Scrap Pile (email for parts):
High Torque Gaucho, Red PW Jeep
Go to Top of Page

aztracks
Journeyman Modder

Chandler
Arizona
USA

118 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  17:08:21  Show Profile
You definitely make it sound easy!

Are the lenses on your Jeep clear? I have been slowly working on getting some LEDs set up for my Jeep but the lenses are a dark grey and it seems like a waste to have lose so much light to these dark lenses. Yours don't look dark at all.

F-150:
'94 Super Sound Jeep Sand Blaster : http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17274
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  17:13:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aztracks

You definitely make it sound easy!

Are the lenses on your Jeep clear? I have been slowly working on getting some LEDs set up for my Jeep but the lenses are a dark grey and it seems like a waste to have lose so much light to these dark lenses. Yours don't look dark at all.

To me, the wiring is easy. But I try to help out as much as I can.

The lenses on THIS jeep were almost perfectly clear. The other Lil Jeep had blue tinted lenses, but the lights still looked good.
On my Enforcer, the blue tint was almost too much for the lights - almost.
The Gaucho had ugly yellow lenses, I bought a nice clear set from Hootie, but didn't put them on yet.

Go to Top of Page

Dylan13
Senior Modder

Oakmont
Pa

1113 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  18:34:58  Show Profile
Dylan loved his Firerock - he ran the wheels off it until I sold it out from under him He's acutally been really good about me getting rid of what we have, I guess its because of the replacements - always something different in the garage

Super Power Gaucho
Peg Gaucho - John Deere Makeover
Peg Gaucho / Peg Gator / Peg Buck Quad
Hot Wheels Lambo - 12v
Enforcer Jr. - 2WD Super 6 - 12v
'lil Sport Barbie - 2WD High/Low rewire
Barbie Dune Beetle / Police Harley / Red Harley
Go to Top of Page

ccsurep
Apprentice Modder

New Haven
C T
USA

60 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  00:56:07  Show Profile

Of course, we needed lights. I got these from eBay - $4 each with shipping. I'm pretty happy, they're flat and fit inside the little headlight spot, and they throw enough light to see in the back yard - but they must have hired someone colorblind to solder! Of the four I got, two had the wire colors reversed for Positive and Negative (!)

I purchased the same lights to use as well, and the wires were crossed as well, lol. must have been the same person making them...
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  21:35:58  Show Profile
Turned off the flash, and got a few pictures tonight

(That wall/fence is about 20' in front of the Jeep's nose)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: