These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 My turn at Steering Sag
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ms1120
Senior Modder

M-Town
Georgia
USA

1464 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  21:11:16  Show Profile
I had decided to put the Escalade wheels on the Silverado and it looked very nice.

46.33 KB
After a test drive, I noticed that the steering sag and steering slack was causing the wheels to wobble so bad it wouldnt hardly go in a straight line. So I looked around the garage and thought for two days of how I was going to fix it while reading the Sticky on the topic. I decided to try something new. Where the steering cross bar is on the bottom and it does help to a degree from the factory, it isnt enough. So I wondered what would happen if I added the same bar to the top of the sector. After some cutting of the box so that I could slide it in across the top, I added an additional bar just like the one on the bottom.

38.6 KB
It took some fitting and trial and error to get it exactly on top of the steering block and to get the pin in the whole since they are at an angle from the factory. I also drilled the pin so that I could use a cotter pin and not a push nut. And I added U-bolts to hold it in place like has been done before.

40.94 KB
Also, I had to cut the blocks that come down and into the steering unit since there was a bar running across the inside. I had to cut them about 1.5 inches shorter. When put all back together the steering is very solid and with no alignment changes at all, the wheels are straight as an arrow.

31.92 KB
The best part is that I only had to buy the u-bolts. Everything else I already had. So for a total of 5 dollars, the steering is as it should have been. Any thoughts?

Fixing things that arent broken...and making them cool

turbokev
Senior Modder

Fremont
New Hampshire
USA

1283 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  04:34:54  Show Profile  Visit turbokev's Homepage
Excellent idea and execution~ and the Escalade wheels look great on the truck~

I wish I could find another Silverado~ I like them but they never pop up around here.

Thanks,
Kev

18V Mustang v2.0 : 18V Mustang v1.0 : 12V Mustangs : 18V Gaucho Police
18V NASCAR : 12V Extreme Machines : 12V Hurricane Resto : 18V Mustang with Blower

Go to Top of Page

ms1120
Senior Modder

M-Town
Georgia
USA

1464 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  12:44:49  Show Profile
Well, an abusive test drive today proved that this mod may work. The wheels stayed straight with no wobble. I guess time will tell. The only change I would make or add rather is to bolt the upper and lower bar together on each side so that it also goes through the plastic case. There are no issues as of yet but that could prove to be an issue later.

Go to Top of Page

Artax
Journeyman Modder

Davenport
IA
USA

459 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  20:30:55  Show Profile
Not bad at all. I like it too. I was just going to say you should bolt them together to keep them from parallelagraming (is that a word ). Would also be nice if there was a good, clean, easy way to make rectangular cuts. Also does the upper cross bar intefere with the stock battery location or does it sit below the battery? I guess I could probably go look at my jeep and find out...Let us know how it holds up.

Although I am still not sure I fully support the u-bolt bolting only to the plastic. I am sure it helps some but I really like the full plate made to hold the steering axis, steering corssbar, and the u-bolt. Just makes the entire assembly really stout. I extended the axles on my quad in order to fit the gearbox up front but added those plates. Between my son and I, we are about 170 and together we have at least 3-4 hours drive time on it and I don't take it easy. There is still no sag or bent axles or anything.

Click picture to view project blog!!
Go to Top of Page

MustangFreak
Senior Modder

San Antonio
Texas
USA

1221 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  22:22:56  Show Profile  Visit MustangFreak's Homepage  Send MustangFreak a Yahoo! Message
Looks like your Silverado is sportin the "Cali lean".

I'm not an addict, addicts have the potential to quit.
Go to Top of Page

ms1120
Senior Modder

M-Town
Georgia
USA

1464 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  10:36:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MustangFreak

Looks like your Silverado is sportin the "Cali lean".

lol. Thats for traction. Actually its the angle of the pic.

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  13:26:03  Show Profile
I started doing the other sag fix yesterday then saw yours and am working on it. I am doing it on a unibody jeep and when I went to install the front end back on the jeep the underbody of the jeep is hitting the new brace. Did you have this issue? Was trying to decide how I would resolve it if I would slot the part and push the bar all the way through or just cut a notch in the underbody.

I also did the plate on one side of the axel holders. I am thinking what you did is actually plenty so I think I will do the other side like you did and see if there is any diffrence.

Great idea on this mod. Much less metal work.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability

Edited by - blake711 on 05/23/2010 13:32:53
Go to Top of Page

ms1120
Senior Modder

M-Town
Georgia
USA

1464 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  16:32:18  Show Profile
My truck had what looks like 2 sqaure cones that the steering assembly sat around. The battery never mad contact with the steering assembly. What I did was I cut about 1.5 inches off at the steering sector sat over it just fine. Glad you like the mod

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  18:58:59  Show Profile
Ok I finished up my sag mod today. This is my first mod so far and I think it came out pretty good. Only things I did differently than you was I didn't have the towers is was a whole box below the battery area. So I sloted it to match where my bar came through the steering assembly. Takes a little longer to assemble but its rock solid. I did my second steering arm like you did with just the u-bolt and strap not a full plate and think its just as solid as the full plate on the other side. The only other thing I did was to router out the bottom of the steering assembly where the bar goes the thickness of my top bar so I wouldn't loose and length on the vertical part of my axle.

You can see my version of your mod here http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17286#112035

Thanks again for posting this much easier than the plates imo.

Blake

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  20:38:01  Show Profile
Did you get this idea from looking at your escalade? I had no idea that PW did this on that until I parted one last night. If you didn't its still a great idea.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: