These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Power Wheels Barbie Cadillac Escalade
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donseymour

Santa Barbara
California
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  10:46:41  Show Profile  Click to see donseymour's MSN Messenger address  Send donseymour a Yahoo! Message
After I purchased the Power Wheels Barbie Cadillac Escalade for my daughter, I was actually shocked when she completely slid down an asphalt road (out of control), and almost into traffic.

Traction is definitely an issue with the big plastic wheels.

I contacted Power Wheels (Fisher-Price/Mattel) Customer Service, they offered to send me replacement wheels at no charge, but they are the same as the stock plastic wheels.

Power Wheels said to add more weight to the vehicle to increase traction, but I do not think that would make much difference.

Power Wheels also said to try Traction Bands (www.tractionbands.com).

Your website states that Traction Bands damage gearboxes, but there are other websites (including Fisher-Price/Mattel) that say that is not the case. In fact, some Power Wheels vehicles come with Traction Bands on the stock wheels.

I read your upgrade about using BMX tires and Gorilla Glue, but I am not sure this is the best solution either.

I am also interested in power upgrades, but concerned about damaging the electric motors, etc. by adding another 12-volt battery.

My daughter is annoyed by the stock radio and speakers. I thought about getting some marine speakers at Radio Shack as replacements, but the stock radio is a little more complicated to upgrade/replace.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Don Seymour
Santa Barbara, California

Edited by - donseymour on 05/03/2007 08:08:42

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:27:21  Show Profile
Fisher price "traction bands" are nothing more than hard plastic rings. They do not offer increased traction. Anything you do to increase traction WILL damage the gearbox sooner or later. PW throttle is a simple on/off switch. From a dead stop hammering the throttle on a smooth surface will cause tire slip. Doing the same with traction devices will transfer all the stress of increased traction directly to the gearboxes and more specifically the gears themselves. Sooner or later you will hear the dreaded PW gearbox 'click' as result of a busted gear.

Adding a second 12V battery isn't a great idea either. Many folks have proven time and time again 24V is too much for a PW. Your 24V set up might last 2 minutes or 2 weeks...but it will break down much sooner rather than later, especially if using traction aids. If you want a boost, 18V, and/or a gearbox swap (to a 19T), and/or a motor swap will make it scream without stressing the motors with 24V.

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****
Go to Top of Page

jasncab
Forum Admin

Phoenix
AZ
USA

1119 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  13:34:49  Show Profile  Visit jasncab's Homepage
I think I made it pretty clear in the post. TRACTION BANDS (such as those sold at http://www.tractionbands.com) WILL RUIN your gearboxes..

Besides the traction is on hard surfaces anyway. At least the BMX tires provide traction on the street, grass, gravel etc. The JUNK sold at http://www.tractionbands.com are just inner tubes cut for your PW tires and glued on - ripp off.

The 4 wheeler in the video clicked after about 2 uses in grass. It is now without traction bands on the tires at all. If you want something like the garbage sold at http://www.tractionbands.com use duct tape... It works as well and is easily removable when you have learned your lesson and it also will not provide traction on anything except hard surfaces.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/shop
Go to Top of Page

HobbyMasters
Senior Modder

Red Bank
NJ
USA

1349 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  17:44:32  Show Profile  Visit HobbyMasters's Homepage
There is no easy solution on the older vehicles to get traction. The BMX tires are definately the best I've seen yet. The PW traction bands are hard plastic and only fit on vehicles that are long since discontinued and really did them no good as the bands are 3/4" wide.

The new generation of PW vehicles finally have real tread on their tires. They definately can not be bolted onto the old vehicles without major modification, something that will probably happen on this website first but I haven't seen it done yet.

- AlanP is manager of www.Hobbymasters.com The largest official Power Wheels Service Center
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  18:45:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AlanP

The new generation of PW vehicles finally have real tread on their tires. They definately can not be bolted onto the old vehicles without major modification, something that will probably happen on this website first but I haven't seen it done yet.

I might be wrong, but I don't think even the new generation tires would help on ashphalt where the original poster stated he had the issue. Or would they?

Go to Top of Page

greatdane
Expert Modder

Northwest
IN
USA

737 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  20:38:14  Show Profile
I have only one gaucho that has effective traction bands molded into the wheel, about 1.5 inches wide-they allow only a little wheel slip on startup, but then hook up after 1/4 to 1/2 wheel rotation-
Braking is much softer on the dynamic braking circut( I'm not sure if its by design or just that way with age), but it also has plastic mechanical drum brakes-

But when I have the 18 volt setup in it, the front wheels kina hop, at least one of them on the outside of the turns, so they're not perfect either-
Any thought on the wheel hop?
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  11:14:29  Show Profile
jasncab, kinda harsh, but i like it.

free is always better

old amav rally car parts only
old ninja super shock
old jeep wrangler
old old fp sports car, broke
old ninja quad
2extreme machines
gator
yellow goucho
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  17:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
Traction bands have their pros and cons.

When I moves my new yard was complete grass and was on an incline. There was no way the Gaucho could drive on it. I added the bike tyre more and it was fantastic. The amount of traction was incredible. The gaucho has very strong gear boxes and is only driven on grass so it has been ok so far. I have now also added an additional resister to soften the brakes.

The Speed Rider came with traction bands as stock. On the grass these were find but when we took it out to a car park it really showed just how much stress they can put on your gearboxes. The Speed rider was running 18volts and was reaching 18.6kph/11.6mph so when it tried to stop there was a lot of force being directed to the gear boxes. I have now made the braking softer and added a momentary ‘turbo’ button for 18volts but I fear it may be too late. While it is running ok there is a suspicious noise coming out of one of the gear boxes.

The Off Road Rebel came with traction bands standard as well. I upgraded it to 12volts and it ran fine of flat surfaces. Liam then decided to drive up a hill which resulted in one of the gears being stripped as the wheel could not spin so all the force was placed on the gears and motor.

The bottom line is, while traction aids can be extremely useful they do add additional stress your gearboxes and will accelerate fatigue that leads to premature failure

Go to Top of Page

donseymour

Santa Barbara
California
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  19:50:23  Show Profile  Click to see donseymour's MSN Messenger address  Send donseymour a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm, Duct Tape for traction, huh?

I did not think about trying Duct Tape, but that is actually an excellent idea which is simple and cheap and easy to replace.

Glad I asked about the 24V conversion because I don't want to burn-up the electric motors, wiring, etc.

Maybe I will try the 18V conversion by adding a 6V battery to the stock 12V. Though I have a lot of questions about the wiring. I guess I will have to research more.

The Power Wheels Cadillac Escalade has two forward speed settings. Does anyone know what the difference is (i.e., one motor versus two motors)?

Thanks for all of the feedback.
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  20:38:28  Show Profile
Low speed places the motors in series, high speed places them in parallel.

Go to Top of Page

donseymour

Santa Barbara
California
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  08:07:06  Show Profile  Click to see donseymour's MSN Messenger address  Send donseymour a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for the clarification on the Low Speed versus High Speed settings.

In my original post above, I asked about the radio and speakers.

I posted a separate topic for this, but I am still looking for feedback.

By the way, the wheels are 14" diameter, so I am not sure where I would find BMX tires that would fit. Standard bicycle tire sizes are 12" or 16" or 20". I could special order, but that gets expensive. I am going to try the duct tape solution for traction using some black Gorilla grip tape I have.

Don Seymour
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  09:32:55  Show Profile
what i have done is to take a larger one and cut it and screw it to the tire. make the splice look good and i have had no trouble yet with the mod.

i have found an average size adult tire will stretch to cover two tires so with the tire of an adult bike you can cover one whole power wheels.

free is always better

old amav rally car parts only
old ninja super shock
old jeep wrangler
old old fp sports car, broke
old ninja quad
2extreme machines
gator
yellow goucho
Go to Top of Page

donseymour

Santa Barbara
California
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  20:08:53  Show Profile  Click to see donseymour's MSN Messenger address  Send donseymour a Yahoo! Message
Any suggestions/ideas on the radio/speakers that come with the Power Wheels Barbie Cadillac Escalade?

I am going to test the Gorilla grip tape theory for improved traction on the wheels this weekend.

Next, I am probably going to add a 6V battery for some more power.

Don Seymour

Insert Image:
Go to Top of Page

Grant
Senior Modder

Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

1820 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  20:59:24  Show Profile  Visit Grant's Homepage
I found with the Gaucho Grande that 16" bike tyres fir on their perfectly without the need to cut them. If you put traction aids on the rear tyres however, it is a must to put them on the front or else the steering with be adversely affected on poor surfaces.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: