These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Pimp it out
 Oznium SuperFlux LED - questions
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Will91
Apprentice Modder

72 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  20:19:22  Show Profile
Hi all:

Folks here seem to have done well installing one Oznium SuperFlux LED per lens. I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know if they will work with a 11.1005 Sho Me flasher; or are they meant to be continuous ON and not flashing? I think these might be the solution to my Dodge Charger Police Car lighting upgrade.
2. I noticed some discussion about potential heat build up in other posts - did anyone ever determine if they put out alot of heat?
3. Is the resistor in line with the wire or imbedded somehow within the LED assembly?
4. How are they best mounted in a headlight or tailight lens? I notice they don't have any sort of mounting ring like other more expensive "covert LED's" by Whelen or Sho Me that fasten neatly with two screws and a gasket once the hole is drilled. I'm hoping for something more creative than silicone caulk to hold them in the hole. Would some sort of rubber grommet from Ace Hardware work well? They would still have to press fit into the grommet, but that would elminate the need for caulking.
5. Do you use red or white LED's behind rear, red tailight lenses?

Thanks!

Edited by - Will91 on 05/12/2010 22:12:58

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  07:06:37  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
1. yes
2. pass
3. no external resistor required if wiring to 12vdc
4. drill hole, insert from behind
5. most people would use a while led behind a colored lens. Unless of course, the lens coloring is faint or the plastic is very thin. Then you may want to go with the appropriate color.

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  07:20:09  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
One footnote -

For the Sho-me controller, make sure you get the 11.1005SF (with the SF suffix). That's the strobing one. The standard 11.1005 is like a wig-wag controller. There's a video of that on my xtreme machine project page.

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  07:48:49  Show Profile
1) Yes
2) No issues so far
3)The resister is in the wire.
4)If you get your hole just right, friction will hold them in. I use hot glue as a safety. If they do fall out they fall into the light so you wont run over them and trash your harness.
5)I use the appropriate colors just incase there is a gap somewhere in the lense.

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

Will91
Apprentice Modder

72 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  16:38:15  Show Profile
Thanks everyone.

In this picture on the Oznium site...

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux

it shows either electrical tape or heat shrink tubing. I presume this is to cover the resistor. Is the resistor in-line with one of the wires and is it electrical tape or heat shrink tubing. It would be disappointing if they simply wrapped it up with electrical tape.
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  17:05:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Will91

Thanks everyone.

In this picture on the Oznium site...

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux

it shows either electrical tape or heat shrink tubing. I presume this is to cover the resistor. Is the resistor in-line with one of the wires and is it electrical tape or heat shrink tubing. It would be disappointing if they simply wrapped it up with electrical tape.

I'm pretty sure it's heatshrink - even the cheapies from Hong Kong use heatshrink!

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  04:11:23  Show Profile
Yes, heat shrink.

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

floridasteel
Journeyman Modder

Ft Myers
Fl
USA

146 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  12:12:05  Show Profile
I can answer from my experience with the heat, a concern I initially had a s well. I have three lights in the headlight of our Chopper and have had zero issues. I have also installed the same setup in two other choppers and have not heard of any issues either.

VW Dune
Fat Back Chopper
Custom Fire Rescue Jeep

Upcomming Projects:
Polaris 700 Twin

Go to Top of Page

Will91
Apprentice Modder

72 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  15:21:41  Show Profile
Thanks Floridasteel. Any comments as to visibility during daylight hours? I want to use some of these for a Dodge Police car and want them visible during the day.
Go to Top of Page

VegasQuid
Journeyman Modder

Vegas
NV
USA

214 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  20:20:08  Show Profile  Visit VegasQuid's Homepage  Click to see VegasQuid's MSN Messenger address  Send VegasQuid a Yahoo! Message
to keep the heat down i put in 2 80 mm Computer Fans by the motors, the air blows on the motors, i tried pulling the hot air out but that did not work 2 well

24v Escalade Fire Reascue
24v Kid Trax Corvette Carbon Cop Car
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  17:40:28  Show Profile
I too am using SuperFlux and would appreciate any help in making sure I wire my Super Flux LED's properly.

I have (4) Super Flux LED's installed in my Dodge Charger Police Car. I have 2 for the headlights and 2 for the Fog Lights. I want to use a seperate rocker switch to control headlights and fog lights. (On/Off) I mounted both switches and all 4 lights but have not yet run the wires. How do I best accomplish this?

Each rocker has three prongs: Power; Load; Ground. I'd like to do this with the least amount of wires possible. Here is what I am thinking: I would run red positive wire from the 12 volt battery
to the power prong of the switch. I would run red wire from LED to load and black wire from LED to ground of switch. Is that right? Does anything have to go back to the negative side of the battery?
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  17:45:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pizzasnob

I too am using SuperFlux and would appreciate any help in making sure I wire my Super Flux LED's properly.

I have (4) Super Flux LED's installed in my Dodge Charger Police Car. I have 2 for the headlights and 2 for the Fog Lights. I want to use a seperate rocker switch to control headlights and fog lights. (On/Off) I mounted both switches and all 4 lights but have not yet run the wires. How do I best accomplish this?

Each rocker has three prongs: Power; Load; Ground. I'd like to do this with the least amount of wires possible. Here is what I am thinking: I would run red positive wire from the 12 volt battery
to the power prong of the switch. I would run red wire from LED to load and black wire from LED to ground of switch. Is that right? Does anything have to go back to the negative side of the battery?

both negatives have to go to battery ground.

The one on the switch is for the led in your switch it is not to ground your leds hanging off the switch. Easiest thing is to get some terminal blocks or barrier strips and feed + to one and - to the other then you can get positive to your switches off of them and negative off them.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  06:09:16  Show Profile
Thanks for the answer. So now I know that the LED's black wire has to come back to the battery and it sounds like ground on the switch does as well.

Final questions. Can I tie all the negative wires together (Headlight 1 & 2 Led Black and Rocker Switch Ground) so that I just have one run back to the negative terminal block rather then three seperate runs? The issue is the switches are in the front of the car but the terminal blocks are in the back.

Is there any harm to the LED's in tieing like wires together? So for example, I since I have 4 total Oziums (2) headlights and (2) fogs, I prefer to only run 1 red and black back to each rocker.

I am already using terminal blocks of my battery for both negative and positive but good suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  07:33:46  Show Profile
Yup one wire is fine. the key is that all wires hook to a single positive location and a single negative loction to keep them in parallel.

Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  07:41:10  Show Profile
Thanks! Last question, promise. How about my 2 strobe contollers? Can the blacks be ties together and run back via a single run to the negative terminal block as well? Again, trying to reduce wire runs and free terminal ports but unsure of any side effects or consequences of not have dedicated runs for either LED's or strobe controllers.

FYI, after modding my sons dodge charger police car and having it all working for Christmas, I promptly ripped it apart again to change several things I deciced I did not like. (Since there is a foot of new snow on the ground, he would not be able to use it anyway) I will be postign pictures in the coming days. I have several unique mods that no one else seems to have attempted so it should be interesting.
Go to Top of Page

pizzasnob

North Wales
PA
USA

27 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  13:15:07  Show Profile
Any help on this question would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  13:50:26  Show Profile
yes you can use a single wire as a trunk to as many devices as you like. Just make sure when using one wire to feed multiple items that its heavy enough to supply everything you are hanging off of it.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: