These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Project Rock Crawler
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

GriptionEh
Apprentice Modder

Ontario
Canada

54 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  18:30:29  Show Profile  Send GriptionEh a Yahoo! Message
After approx 200 hrs some of which would be described as 'personal growth' project rock crawler is mobile & ready for shakedown runs. details to follow.

239.76 KB

vandusen1
Apprentice Modder

wilton
IOWA
USA

79 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  18:40:04  Show Profile  Visit vandusen1's Homepage
That looks great!!!! we need some actions shots
Do you have any shots of the underside?

great work

Robert

Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  03:47:16  Show Profile
That is beyond B.A.

It's my Little Duece Coupe...You don't know what I got.
Go to Top of Page

makeitbad
Journeyman Modder

228 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  18:21:33  Show Profile  Send makeitbad a Yahoo! Message
awsome !!! now it just needs 4wd and it should go about anywhere...great aluminum work....!!!

Muh Eye-Q iz abuv duh natchanal avurge yu no !!
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  18:53:04  Show Profile
Can't really repeat what came out of my mouth when I saw the pics...

Wow. Triple wow.

Nice work! Can't wait for a performance report!

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****
Go to Top of Page

allan
Journeyman Modder

victoria
Australia

254 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  19:11:45  Show Profile
Looks fantastic. Can you post some more pics as well as specs?
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  17:46:13  Show Profile
We need some video please. That thing is unbelieveable. We also need specs. You can't just tease us with that one picture and not give any specifications. Baddest Power Wheels ever!

It's my Little Duece Coupe...You don't know what I got.
Go to Top of Page

GriptionEh
Apprentice Modder

Ontario
Canada

54 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  19:00:40  Show Profile  Send GriptionEh a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the kudos guys, it makes the effort a little more worthwhile but the smile on my little guy's face pretty much takes care of it all. i think we've all enjoyed that big ear to ear smile when something we've done for them turns out well.

the specs are as follows, constructed of 1x1x.125 alu square tube, 3/4 in sch 80 alu pipe, 2x2x.125 alu angle, 1/2" C1045 shafting, 1" steel round stock, replaceable bushings on all pivot/rotation points, hardened 1/2x1"x.062 steel shims, mountain bike frame shocks(450 lb/in rear, 300/350 lb/in front), heim joints for steering, tie rods made of 3/8" ss tubing w/ 1/4" NF nuts weled each end.

8"(20cm metric ) travel front & rear, shocks have adjustable preload. battery/motor gearboxes are stock, drive through modified wheel hub, front steering knuckles feature spacing & perches for gearboxes for 4wd.

57.9 KB

62.39 KB

91.06 KB

67.46 KB

as for action shots we'll have to wait, just before those pictures were taken i picked up a bunch small white plastic bits from the lawn, blown drive from the gearbox, i only welded 2 tabs @180 to engage in the outdrive for testing instead of the 10 it allows for & it seams more is definitely better in this case. we did manage to do a fair bit of testing before it blew & it seams that i have some steering & suspension geometry issues to deal with, since this is a learing experience for me input from anyone with direct experience building suspensions would be most welcome. as it stands i will be revising the tierod angle to bring it closer to parallel with the suspension arm. the ackerman angle seems to be ok. spring rates seem to be ok but are are hard to setup on such a light vehicle, i guess i have all summer

as for the drive everything is stock, i'll have to buy new boxes for the front & attempt to repair the rear, i've been considering the 16t gearboxes all around for the torque but when you scroll over them on kidswheels "strong" doesn't show up in the description as it does for the 19t & some other boxes. any experiences on that would be cool. also i've heard of an idea to run 24v but limit the output to 18v using a scooter controller & limiting the throttle travel to less than full. did anyone make that work?

thats it for now

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  19:03:16  Show Profile
Can't really repeat what came out of my mouth when I saw the pics...

Wow. Triple wow.

Nice work! Can't wait for a performance report!

HOLY CRAP!!! I will tone it down a bit, but THAT FRIGGIN THING IS AWSOME. you rock.

free is always better

old amav rally car parts only
old ninja super shock
old jeep wrangler
old old fp sports car, broke
old ninja quad
2extreme machines
gator
yellow goucho

Edited by - gameboy on 08/21/2012 17:22:55
Go to Top of Page

chi3000

morinville
alberta
Canada

5 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  00:08:41  Show Profile
Your the MAN!! That monster is unreal.
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  18:03:57  Show Profile
We're not worthy!!! We're not worthy!!!

That is the best example of craftsmanship, ingenuity and backyard engineering I have seen in a long time. Way to go!

Power Wheels, How bad have you got it?

Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  14:55:32  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
That is.... WOW..... OK, I'm jealous now!!! And alunimum to top it off?!?!?! And Stainless hardware here and there. Wow again!!!

Suspension input.... I can help you out there. What kinds of issues are you having?

Single a-arm up front... A straight axle may have been easier.... but somewhat boring looking compared to this!

Being it is a single a-arm, the only factor in reducing bump steer is the proximity of the inner tie-rod joints to the inner suspension pivot. I think I see a link from the steering stem to a bell-crank? Very cool, and probably keeps bump steer minimal.

The outer tie-rod pivot location (height) doesn't matter, so you could lower it. Maybe you know this, just trying to help if you don't. Again, WOW on what you did do!!

Are spring rates a problem at that height?

In the rear I think I'd look into tying the mounts on both sides together, on the body end. All the stresses from wheels twisting will then be shared between them and mostly cancel out. The forces that are left would then be distributed over a larger area of the Jeep floor. This should be semi easy compared to all the other work you've done!!! Otherwise the rear looks perfect.

Looks like you have 2 possible mounting holes for the rear shock mount for height adjustment. Cool also!

Keep in mind, I'm NOT saying I could have done it better. I may have gotten the suspension setup good, but no way would I have pulled off something looking that cool!!!

Edited by - swhenrik on 06/01/2007 12:22:15
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  12:20:00  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
We were just talking about bearings in gearboxes, and wondering if you made any progress there?

Edited by - swhenrik on 06/01/2007 12:22:35
Go to Top of Page

haulingrass

33 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  19:04:45  Show Profile
wow thats all i can say.
Go to Top of Page

BIGDAWG69

Georgia
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  05:52:51  Show Profile
Now thats one sweet Jeep. You do great work!
Go to Top of Page

carolinaped

48 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  21:45:07  Show Profile
when is the vid coming? this beast is awsome. Fantastic work.
Go to Top of Page

rb_in_va
Apprentice Modder

Hampton
Va

51 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  07:21:35  Show Profile
That is the same model Jeep we just got for my son. We're going to keep it stock height for now though.
Go to Top of Page

radarnick
Journeyman Modder

Front Royal
VA
USA

442 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  18:55:44  Show Profile  Send radarnick a Yahoo! Message
we have 2 metal frame jeeps with old style gear boxes. We have had good luck runing rubber tires on them over a year and no problems with burnt motors or gears they are a little noisey tough just a sugeston I think #7 boxes
Go to Top of Page

TRENT

2 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  17:22:01  Show Profile
LOOKS LIKE THIS GRANDAD NEEDS MORE TIME AND MONEY GREAT JOB!!!
Go to Top of Page

highlandercj-7

Pittsburgh
PA

48 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  08:52:09  Show Profile
Sweet fab work brother! I love it, My son would be estatic. He'd say it needs 4wd for sure lol.

HighlanderCJ-7
If you don't stand behind our troops...
Feel free to stand in front of them.
Go to Top of Page

mikeh
Journeyman Modder

Chicagoland
Illinois
USA

269 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  18:26:37  Show Profile
We need a vid!!!!

You're only young once, but you can allways be immature
Go to Top of Page

Razzgrizz

columbus
Nebraska
USA

11 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  19:56:13  Show Profile
Bitchin ride man that's the real deal!!!!! Are those Carlisle 16 x 6.5 tires? They look exactly like the ones I have picked out for my project jeep
Go to Top of Page

Dongskie
Journeyman Modder

Manila
Philippines

380 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  16:57:03  Show Profile  Visit Dongskie's Homepage  Click to see Dongskie's MSN Messenger address  Send Dongskie a Yahoo! Message
Any video yet?

Go to Top of Page

sleepy23
Journeyman Modder

Maryville
TN

495 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  17:37:01  Show Profile
3years later, prolly not gonna hey a vid. That's a shame cuz the dude obviously ha skill.

Mustang GTR: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16343
F-150 Super Snake: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16824
F150 Raptor: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18071
Go to Top of Page

Dongskie
Journeyman Modder

Manila
Philippines

380 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  20:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Dongskie's Homepage  Click to see Dongskie's MSN Messenger address  Send Dongskie a Yahoo! Message
Awww.. thats too bad, I like the tires though.. lol

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: