These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Info needed: My First Wheels Rock Racer
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gtessau

Wellsburg
Iowa
USA

20 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  09:36:22  Show Profile
Hey there... new to the forum and the world of PowerWheels. My twins (boy/girl) just turned one, and with garage sale season in full swing, I've already acquired two power wheels, without even meaning to do it. It started with me finding a PowerWheels Get Set Go Kart for $20 last week, and today my wife came home with this thing for $15. I can't find anything out about it online. I know the people said it needed a new battery, but I'm just curious what this thing might have cost new. It seems in really good shape - other than the broken light that happened when my wife was loading it in the van. It has a steel frame, and even the roll cage is actual steel. The battery is actually two 6V batteries in series - not sure if that is common or not. Like I said, this is my first experience with these things. I searched the forums and found two threads from last year asking about one of these on craigslist.. I'm thinking if you guys on here haven't seen these, does it mean they are rare? Anyway, here are some pictures.. any info someone might have would be great. Thanks! Geoff

60.22 KB

53.82 KB

65.23 KB

53.87 KB

67.21 KB

64.82 KB

54.01 KB

Fortis
Senior Modder

melbourne
victoria
Australia

1154 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  14:07:23  Show Profile
You will find lots of infor on these on this site. There ahve been about 4 rebuilds on these in the last year.

They are not a bad base to work from, not the prettiest swan in the flock, but you can certainly do stuff with them and end up a tough, reliable dune-buggy type racer that caqn handle 18 or 24volts with no problem.

astheticly, losing the mirror/light clumps makes a huge an immediate improvement (someone actually got paid to design those, you know)

Colbert: So the AK-47 is like the Windows platform of guns, it's everywhere.

Pike: No, no. It's MUCH more reliable than that.

Go to Top of Page

gtessau

Wellsburg
Iowa
USA

20 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  18:20:50  Show Profile
Thanks for the info.. I'll have to do some searching to find those project forums you were talking about... Search isn't finding anything for me, I'll have to try some different keywords. I'm wondering if I need to order 2 6V batteries like are in it now or is any 12V battery fine?
Go to Top of Page

cbuggy
Journeyman Modder

USA

207 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  19:30:38  Show Profile
I might be wrong but i don't remember any projects going on the rock racer .I have seen several on the get set go cart.I tried several searches on the net for the rock racer but came up empty.That is an unusual ones for sure.If you have two 6v wired in series you should have no problem replacing with one 12v .
Go to Top of Page

gtessau

Wellsburg
Iowa
USA

20 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  21:00:09  Show Profile
Yeah, I've been searching the forums for some time now and I just can't find anything about this kind of kart on here. Google has not been much of a help either. I'm not really looking to mod it (yet). :-)
I just am curious what it might have cost new. My wife found one very similar online, but it wasn't exactly the same. Is there any benefit one way or the other using either 2 6v batteries or one 12v?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

l3viathan
Journeyman Modder

Wellsville
New York
USA

151 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  06:18:04  Show Profile  Visit l3viathan's Homepage
I think you'll have better luck searching for "xr-401". It would seem this same design is shared among a large number of manufacturers, each with their own unique additions. You can check out my rebuild of the Xtreme XR-401, which is a variation of your kart.

Xtreme XR-401 Kawasaki Ninja Dora Lil' Quad

Edited by - l3viathan on 05/02/2010 06:24:54
Go to Top of Page

reyesben

1 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  10:07:15  Show Profile
I'm curious how your acquisition turned out. I just picked one of these XR-401's that's been sitting outside a while. Looks worse than yours did. One motor is not functioning and this is my first attempt at anything like this. Did you find any useful vendors for replacement parts?
Go to Top of Page

gtessau

Wellsburg
Iowa
USA

20 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2010 :  11:15:53  Show Profile
To be honest, I haven't done anything with it yet. My twins are only 18 months old, so they are probably at least a year from using it. I haven't even gotten any batteries to try it out yet.
Go to Top of Page

johnsterling

Pflugerville
Texas
USA

37 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  10:52:52  Show Profile
I just pick on up just like yours gtessau!
So any luck on finding info on it?
I see the XR-401 has been discontinued!
Does anyone know the model number of the one before the XR-401?

Thanks,

John E. Sterling Sr.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: