These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Batteries and Wiring
 How long does a stock 12v Pw Batt last?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vbthumper

Virginia Beach
VA
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  18:32:04  Show Profile
I bought the F150 Monster traction for my 2y.o. at Christmas and hes had what I consider (noob) to be little to moderate time on the truck. I bought the Quick charger thats supposed to condition the battery yet its showing a bad battery signal now. The truck has never been run dead and was working at what seemed to be full strength the day before. When I got home from work my daughter told me the battery was dead and I was really surprised. I bought a new battery today and the charger and truck work great. How often should these die?

Thanks for your help

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  20:39:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by vbthumper

I bought the F150 Monster traction for my 2y.o. at Christmas and hes had what I consider (noob) to be little to moderate time on the truck. I bought the Quick charger thats supposed to condition the battery yet its showing a bad battery signal now. The truck has never been run dead and was working at what seemed to be full strength the day before. When I got home from work my daughter told me the battery was dead and I was really surprised. I bought a new battery today and the charger and truck work great. How often should these die?

Thanks for your help

How long a battery will last really depends on how well it is maintained, including before you buy it. If that vehicle/battery sat on the shelf for a long time, it may have been 'bad' when you got it, but it should still be under warranty. A charger/maintainer (as you mentioned) is the best way to get the most life from a battery. Just keep it connected to the battery as much as possible, and try not to let the battery get drained too far, and it should last for several years.

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  01:05:40  Show Profile
the average time is about 45 mins to an hour, but there are many variables to play into here. rider weight, ground slope, grass vs. pavement, 1st or 2nd gear.... and the list goes on.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  08:19:38  Show Profile
The last few days, JD has been going farther down a trail near us.
I retraced our route, he made it over three miles on his modified Enforcer using the 14AH Powertron battery. But it was really slow the last block home.

So you should get at least two miles out of a stock battery.

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  08:34:42  Show Profile
One note, the "automatic" chargers refuse to charge batteries that are dead beyond a certain point. I've found that if you use the stock "dumb" charger you can sometimes bring these batteries back to life because they'll attempt to charge no matter what the condition of the battery is.

------------------------------------------------
Screamin Demon (600 watt scooter motor, 36v scooter controller)
Red Harley (trike, 24v scooter controller, 13t MFJ gearboxes/motors)
KFX Quad (24v scooter controller, MFJ 12t gearboxes/motors)
Fire Rescue Jeep (24v scooter controller, 15t #7 gearboxes/motors)
Franken(berry)beast (24v scooter controller, 2-250Watt Scooter motors)
Grave Digger (21T gearboxes)
Super Shock
Razor MX-350 Motorcycle

Projects
--------
Jeep Wrangler (on hold)
Barbie Cruzin Tunes Jeep (24v scooter controller)
TCV Indy Racer (24v scooter controller)
Gator (on hold)
Silverado Dragster (on hold)
Apache (on hold)
Metal big wheel (24v scooter controller)
Jeep Aftershock
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  13:10:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by treebeme

One note, the "automatic" chargers refuse to charge batteries that are dead beyond a certain point. I've found that if you use the stock "dumb" charger you can sometimes bring these batteries back to life because they'll attempt to charge no matter what the condition of the battery is.

That's a great point! I actually read in the documentation for one of the high-frequency chargers that if the voltage is to low for microprocessor logic, you can try using a 'dumb' charger to get it just high enough for the smart charger to accept it.

Kinda makes you wonder why they didn't just make the smart charger a little smarter?

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: