These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Batteries and Wiring
 Battery AMP
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

konin1973

Palatine
Il
USA

2 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  09:17:28  Show Profile
There is so much talk about the voltage but what about the AMPs of the battery(s)?
-What is the minimum amperage that a 12v factory "toy" needs and maximum amperage without damaging the motors? (same for 6v)
-What would be the highest amperage the stuck motor would take without the need to upgrade or putting a fuse/resistor/etc in (Iíve seen people with 36 and 48V which must overheat them quickly?
-Can you combine different amps batteries together and how do you charge them (6v to 12v, 12v to 12v or multiple, or 6v to 6v or multiple)?
Has anyone combined 4x12V or 4x6v (2 in series for speed and 2 parallel for length of use)?

rockjessemax
Journeyman Modder

mayfield
kentucky
USA

478 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  19:34:07  Show Profile
You are correct...we do talk mostly in voltage and Amp Hours. Upping the voltage on any given toy depends on a number of things.Will the wiring stand up WITH MORE VOLTAGE? Going to 18v from 12v is usualy ok. Depending on the toy, going to 12v from 6v is in most cases, ok. If you are using any battery other than "stock" an inline fuse or circuit breaker is in order. for 18v 30 0r 40 amp fuse/breaker would be in order. Place the fuse/breaker on the pos wire about 4 or 5 inches from the battery between the battery and toy. Going any higher than 18v, you may want to think about heat sinks and/or cooling fans. Mostly around here we use sla batteries(sealed acid). Stock batteries from Power Wheels are 12v 9.5ah or 6v 9.5ah. After Market batteries are available in a variety of combos. For example an after market 12v 12ah givins me more runtime (higher ah). That example battery will, in most cases fit into the toy without modifing the battery compartment. I hope this helps. There is a wonder of info in the FAQ. Welcome to the site and have fun with your MODS.

Transporter of:
"LIBERTY BELL 7"
I LIVE IN A BATTERY POWERED WORLD

Edited by - rockjessemax on 02/14/2010 19:36:03
Go to Top of Page

Fortis
Senior Modder

melbourne
victoria
Australia

1154 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  03:01:21  Show Profile
SLA's will mostly dump as many amps as our motors could ever need and then some right up till they run dry. AMP HOUR ratings are important because they tell you the capacity or longevity of that battery.

Think of it this way. Voltage is the size of the turbo-charger on an engine and amp hours is a measure of how big the gas tank is.
You need to balance things to some degree. Too big a turbo-charger on a small engine (6v electric motor being given 48volts) will go bang very fast.
a well matched turbo and engine but with a fuel tank that does not get you to the end of the block is also not a good mix (4amp hour 12volt batt).

Balance of all things, with a healthy dollop of semi-reckless insanity for good measure is usually the way to get best results.

Colbert: So the AK-47 is like the Windows platform of guns, it's everywhere.

Pike: No, no. It's MUCH more reliable than that.

Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  10:11:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fortis

SLA's will mostly dump as many amps as our motors could ever need and then some right up till they run dry. AMP HOUR ratings are important because they tell you the capacity or longevity of that battery.

Think of it this way. Voltage is the size of the turbo-charger on an engine and amp hours is a measure of how big the gas tank is.
You need to balance things to some degree. Too big a turbo-charger on a small engine (6v electric motor being given 48volts) will go bang very fast.
a well matched turbo and engine but with a fuel tank that does not get you to the end of the block is also not a good mix (4amp hour 12volt batt).

Balance of all things, with a healthy dollop of semi-reckless insanity for good measure is usually the way to get best results.

I like that analogy.

I guess AMPs would be the size of the fuel line, and WATTs would be the resulting displacement?

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.

Edited by - jparthum on 02/15/2010 10:15:40
Go to Top of Page

jshermanator

Marietta
GA
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  15:55:34  Show Profile
great info!Do you know the amerage of the red 6v and the grey 12v power wheels batts?
Thanks

Jarrett

quote:
Originally posted by Fortis

Go to Top of Page

Iam0014
Journeyman Modder

semmes
al.
USA

152 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  19:09:27  Show Profile
to find out how many amnps you or using or how many you need use ohm's law
if you know any two thing like watts, voltage, or amps you can find out what the others are

watts / volts = amps

thats an easy way to see how any amps you are using and you can tell about how long a batt. will last
Go to Top of Page

aztracks
Journeyman Modder

Chandler
Arizona
USA

118 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  22:31:55  Show Profile
Several answers have already addressed the original question, but I thought I would add a little.

minimum amperage that 12V factory "toy" needs: This is dependent on the conditions. Your motors will draw more current going uphill in the grass with a heavy rider than they will going downhill on pavement with a light rider. The toughest conditions will define your max current. Also the peak current that flows right at turn on will be higher than the steady state current draw once it is rolling. I took some current measurements with my jeep in different conditions that might give you some idea of how the current draw might vary.

Regarding using several batteries in parallel for more current: As Fortis said, these batteries provide plenty of current for our little motors. The limiting factor becomes how much heat the motor windings (and vehicle wiring) can take before a failure. Since the current would come from evenly from your bank of batteries you would get the benefit of adding the amp x hours. So theoretically 4x12V 12AH batteries would last 4 times as long as 1 12V 12AH battery.

F-150:
'94 Super Sound Jeep Sand Blaster : http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17274
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: