These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Power Wheels Bigfoot ID Guide
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

77ddt
Journeyman Modder

Washington
IL
USA

288 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  18:47:40  Show Profile
In the process of searching for a Power Wheels Bigfoot for my son, I collected a fair amount of information and pictures, and ultimately several different versions of the Bigfoots themselves. Since Bigfoots seem to be fairly popular and common, I thought I would summarize the information I have collected here for the benefit of the group.

This is still a work in progress. If any of you find any errors or have additions, either email me or post responses to this thread. I also would love to get some better pictures of mint or near-mint condition versions of some of these models. If you have better pictures, or can get some, please send them my way!

Thanks,
Dave

(Note: I have scavenged some of these photographs. I hope that for the benefit of the group those of you that own these photographs don’t mind me using them here. If you want me to take them down, please let me know)

Generation #1 – “Bigfoot 4X4X4”

Highrider 4X4

Model No.:
Color: Blue
Dates: 1985? – ????
Power: 12V (Dual 6V)
Speed: 2.5/5.0 mph
Gearbox: 3A (2)
Description: The first “Bigfoot” wasn’t actually licensed as a Bigfoot. Pines produced the blue Ford F-150 Power Wheels “Highrider 4X4” that bore an uncanny resemblance to the Bigfoot monster truck. The truck had a metal frame, open floor with two pedals, and ATC style knobby tires. It was a 12V-dual 6V setup, with a Hi/Lo rocker on the dash and Fwd/Rev rocker on the right hand bed rail.

Tech Info:
- The hood decal on this model reads “460 powered”. 460 cubic inches was the largest engine offered from the factory in the F-Series pickups. Later Power Wheels Bigfoot models wore decals reading “640 powered” matching the lettering and displacement of the modified engine used in the real Bigfoot trucks.

Bigfoot 4X4X4 (Early Version)

Model No.:
Dates: 1986
Speed: 2.5/5.5 mph
Gearbox: “Old #3”

Description: This truck was very similar to the “Highrider 4x4”, but now actually featured Bigfoot decals. Like the Highrider, the truck had a metal frame and open floor with two pedals. Instead of the knobby tires used on the Highrider, the tires now featured a tread pattern that resembled the 10’ tall “tundra” tires that were unique to Bigfoot and debuted around this time. There are a few details that evolved over the run of the Bigfoot 4X4X4. It shared a body with features identical to the Highrider. It did not have a supercharger on the hood, and had the Fwd/Rev rocker switch mounted on the right hand “bed rail”

Tech Info:
- The product ID tag is located inside the body shell, on the left hand side under the seat. The product name is listed as “Bigfoot”.
- The battery connectors in these models are a style that predates the recalled “H Type” connectors. They look like 2 pin and 4 pin trailer light wiring harnesses.
- The gearboxes on this truck appear to have a driver similar to the “3B” gearbox, but the overall design is the “Old #3” style and predates the 3A gearbox.
- The motors have plastic 10T pinions.
- The motors use 1/8” electrical spades and connectors instead of the 3/16” used on later Power Wheels.
- The truck cartoons on the right and left hand sides of the bed are not just mirror images of each other. Each has small variations that make them unique.

Bigfoot 4X4X4 (Late Version)

Model No.: 76249-9993 / 86400
Dates: 1987-1988

Description: This was an upgraded version of the 1986 Bigfoot. The 1987 Power Wheels catalog boasted a Bigfoot 4X4X4 that was “newly improved with beefed up motors and drivetrain”. The supercharger was also added to the hood. It is unclear if this model initially still had the fwd/rev rocker switch mounted on the bed rail, or if this was also when they made the change to the Fwd/Rev rocker on the dash like the subsequent generation Bigfoot did. Regardless, at least some versions of this model have both switches on the dash.

Tech Info:
- The improvements referred to in the product brochure are switching to the 3A gearboxes and upgraded motors.

Generation #2 - “Super Bigfoot”

Super Bigfoot / Bigfoot Racing Team

Model No.: 78670-9993 / 86450
Color: Blue Body, Black Chassis
Dates: 1989 - 1993
Description: At first glance, other than the tires, this blue truck looks very similar to the original Bigfoot 4X4X4. Upon closer inspection, however, there are substantial differences between it and its predecessor. The most significant difference is that this truck has a molded plastic floor pan instead of an open bottom. With that came a single gas pedal with automatic breaking. The Fwd/Rev rocker switch continued in the dash, side-by-side with the Hi/Lo switch like the later Bigfoot 4X4X4’s. The tires were changed to more closely resemble the normal monster truck tires. In addition to “F O R D” molded into the hood, the grill now had the Ford oval molded in. There are two distinct versions of this Bigfoot model. The first version of this truck had a blue body and decals very similar to the Bigfoot 4X4X4, but with the word “Super” and some flames added to distinguish it. A second version had different decals with more prominent flames fading into red/orange/yellow stripes, and “Bigfoot Racing” on the tailgate. This coincided with the color scheme change on the real Bigfoot monster trucks and the emphasis shifting from exhibition car crushes to racing competitions.

Tech Info:
- Product ID tag is located on the firewall in the engine compartment. Although both versions share a model number, the one without stripes has the name “Super Bigfoot” printed on the model ID sticker, the version with stripes is identified as “Bigfoot US”.
- The run number on the product ID tag is the date the truck was built (032090A = 3/20/1990). All the Bigfoots of this generation have “Kransco 1989” molded into the rear bumper step, which is the date the mold was made, not when the truck was made.
- Some trucks had rocker switches with angled spades, some had straight. When looking for replacement switches, make sure you get the switch that matches your harness. This difference seems to correspond to the two different decal schemes, with the first “Super Bigfoot” version having the angled spades.

- Some parts for this truck, like the hood, KC light bar, tailgate and some rollbar parts, are interchangeable with the original open-bottom Bigfoot. Consult the parts diagrams to be sure.
- Body is attached to chassis by two screws under hood, two screws inside the holes where the rollbar hoop mounts, and two locking tabs along the sides. There are non-locking tabs that slide into slots on the rear bumper.
- There is a small flap that attaches the hood to the cowl and is frequently broken. The flap is attached to the cowl by two locking tabs on each end, and a screw in the middle. You must remove this screw from underneath to remove the hood without damaging it.
- There are two separate compartments underhood for the 6V batteries. Installing a single 12V Power Wheels battery not only requires rewiring, but cutting underhood. Even then, a 12V Power Wheels battery will fit with the hood closed, but the steering shaft interferes with setting the battery flat in the engine bay.
- These trucks used 12V motors with 7T plastic pinions, but can be replaced with later ones with metal pinions.
- The rear axle is 7/16” rod, 23 3/8” long.

Monster Sound Bigfoot

Model No.: 78640-9993 / 86470
Color: Black Body / Yellow Chassis
Dates: 1994 - 1995
Gearbox: 3B (2)
Description: This truck marked the next step in the evolution of Bigfoot. While it used the same body and chassis as the Super Bigfoot, it was changed in almost every area. For starters, instead of the traditional blue, the truck had a black body and yellow chassis. The decals were similar to the later Super Bigfoot scheme, but the flames were more extensive. It used the standard dual-6V battery setup, but was updated with 3B gearboxes and push-button switches. It also had the “diamond tread” style tires shared with some quad models. The body itself was identical to the Super Bigfoot with the exception of a panel added under the seat, between the body and chassis. The grill was similar to the Super Bigfoot, but molded black instead of chrome plated, and just had decals for the headlights instead of individual lenses. Parking lamps were still separate pieces. The truck had a visor above the windshield that wrapped over the back to create a new dash. The key, radio knobs and a fake shifter were mounted in this new dash, but the Hi/Lo and Fwd/Rev switches were still mounted in the original dash location. The namesake “Monster Sound” came from a sound box mounted in the center of the steering wheel. There were two buttons, one for a horn and the other for a revving engine. While the original seat molded into the truck bed is still there, this version had a separate seat with a higher seat back, as well as a revised rollbar assembly, and a seatbelt. There are compartments on the back of the seat that take up most of the bed space. One of the compartments came with a gas can in it. In addition to the KC lights mounted atop the visor, there were two lights mounted on top of the rollbar.

Tech Info:
- Product ID tag is located on the firewall in the engine compartment. The model name is listed as “Bigfoot 94”.
- While the seat is similar in appearance to later Bigfoot and F-150 seats, it is unique and not interchangeable with those later models. It is not adjustable.
- Starting with this model, the decals on the tires said “Firestone” instead of “Good Year”. This coincided with Firestone sponsoring the Bigfoot trucks.
- It appears that this Bigfoot version was produced with metal pinions on the motors, instead of the plastic ones used on earlier versions.

Other Variations:

Monster 4X4

(photo courtesy jparthum)

Model No.: 76174-9993 / 85150
Color: Yellow
Dates: 1991
Power: 6V
Speed: 2.5 mph
Description: This Toys R Us exclusive featured the motors and 3A gearboxes from the Super Bigfoot, but only had a single 6V battery for power. It also used the tires from the original open-bottom Bigfoot. It did not have a supercharger on the hood.

Snake Bite

(photo courtesy defensivewound http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16071)

Model No.: 76173-9993 / 85000
Color: Red
Dates: 1992
Power: Super 6V
Speed: 3.5 mph
Description: Although it doesn’t bear the Bigfoot name, the real Snakebite truck was part of the Bigfoot racing team in the early 1990’s. Like the real truck, the Power Wheels Snakebite was based off of a Bigfoot, but had a snake-like hood/grill piece. The Power Wheels Snakebite had a Super 6V battery/motor system. The truck was a Toys R Us exclusive, and appears to be fairly rare.

Monster
Model No.: 76807-9993 / 86460
Color: Red
Dates: 1993-
Description: This truck appears to be similar to the Super Bigfoot except it is red, it doesn’t have a supercharger on the hood, and I would assume the decals are different.

Monster Racing

Model No.: 78471-9993
Color: White
Description: This was the final iteration of the Super Bigfoot bodied truck. Although introduced after the Monster Sound Bigfoot, This K-Mart exclusive appears to have been targeted for a lower price point as it did not incorporate the improvements/additions present on that model, and was a Super 6V instead of a 12V.

Generation #3 – “New Bigfoot”

Monster Sound Bigfoot

Model No.: 74420-9993
Color: Black Body / Yellow Chassis
Dates: 1996 - 1997
Description: As Ford changed body styles for their trucks, Power Wheels followed suit. The new Bigfoot was introduced in fall of 1996 to coincide with the new F-150. Although this truck shared a name and color scheme with it’s 1994 predecessor, it is definitely a different truck. It shared the more aerodynamic body design with the 1997 F-150. The truck also now featured a blower on the hood. The “Monster Sound” sound box was located behind a panel on the dash. Instead of directly pushing the sound box buttons, the key and a button on the cover panel could be pushed to activate the sounds, which were of the truck starting up, and an engine roar with a cheering crowd. The seat, while similar in appearance to the ’94 Bigfoot, was a new, adjustable design. The rollbar was made taller, and now featured round lights instead of rectangular. The most significant functional improvement for the truck was changing to a Hi/Lo/Rev shifter instead of the dual rocker switch arrangement. The shifter was located below the seat near the RH side.

Tech Info:
- Product ID tag is located on the LH side inside the body. The model name is listed as “Bigfoot US”.
- The body on this style is attached with screws in the front and rear bumpers, along with locking tabs on the side. The screws on the front bumpers are down in holes that collect water and tend to rust badly.
- Although designed for a dual 6V battery setup underhood, a single 12V fits without any modification other than the removal of the battery tie down.
- While the tires and rims on this version look similar to the ones used on earlier Bigfoot’s, they are different. The driver style is different, as is the way the tread lugs transition into the sidewall, and the rim “dish” is significantly different. The drivers for the later versions can reportedly be modified to work on the earlier version.

- The rear axle is 7/16” rod, 26” long.

TRU Blue Bigfoot

Model No.: 78474-9993
Color: Blue/Black
Dates: 1998
Description: The was the last Power Wheels to bear the Bigfoot name. The truck used the lighter blue with pink and aqua colors of the Bigfoot of that time frame. This Power Wheels truck was significantly de-featured from the 96-97 Bigfoot, with a Super 6V system, and losing the sound box, rollbar, and hood scoop. It also used a grill that had headlight decals instead of individual lenses.

Tech Info:
- Uses the same shifter as the similar Black Bigfoot, but only has a single switch for F/R.

Other Variations:

Ford F-150 Pickup

Model No.: 74210-9993
Color: Red/Black
Dates: 1997
Description: This was the first non-Bigfoot spinoff from the new F-150 body style. It did not have the hood scoop or rollbar, but did have the 12V system, and was the last single-seat F-150 to use 12V.

Ford Flashback 4X4

Model No.: 75547-9993
Color: Black/Gray/Yellow
Dates: 1999
Description: This Toys R Us exclusive was the successor to the TRU Blue Bigfoot from the year before. It had the same features as that truck, but a different color/decal scheme, and no longer had the Bigfoot name on it.

Ford Off-Road 4X4

Model No.: 75548-9993
Dates: 1999-2000
Description: This was the Wal-Mart exclusive counterpart to the Ford Flashback 4X4. The only differences are the colors and the decals.

Ford Adventure

Model No.: 78457-9993
Color: Green/Tan
Dates: 2000
Description: This truck was similar to the other Super 6V Ford F-150’s, although did have the rollbar used on the ’96 Monster Sound Bigfoot. It featured a dark green / tan paint scheme similar to the Eddie Bauer editions of Ford vehicles popular at the time.

Blue Thunder Monster Truck

Model No.: J5244
Dates: 2005
Description: After a 5 year hiatus, the F-150 monster truck came back one last time. It still used the familiar Super 6V system. This truck featured paint and decals of the Blue Thunder monster truck from the popular Monster Jam series.

Peg Perego Bigfoot

Power Wheels was not the only one to produce a Bigfoot battery powered ride-on. Peg Perego produced Ford truck models called “Thunder TNT” and “Lightning”. These trucks more closely resembled the Ford Ranger than the F-150 used by Power Wheels. The Thunder was blue and the Lightning was white. Both featured the Bigfoot name on them. The information I have is limited, so I can not elaborate on any other details.

Edited by - 77ddt on 11/14/2010 10:18:24

hootienchyna
Advanced Modder

Ronkonkoma
New York 11779

2590 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  18:55:56  Show Profile  Visit hootienchyna's Homepage
i have 1 of the white peg bigfoots and dont have much info on it either

visit www.mltoyz.com for used parts
Go to Top of Page

the gambler
Senior Modder

Jacksonville
Florida
USA

1437 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  19:11:12  Show Profile
this is awesome

Firerock , Gator , Bigfoot,Lil Wrangler, Army Hummer, Big Jake , Sarge Army Jeep ,JSO Police Hummer ,BACKDRAFT Monster Truck,Present Day Bigfoot

Go to Top of Page

Boomhauer
Journeyman Modder

Galloway
OH
USA

121 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  19:38:49  Show Profile
Very nice post, great info. I still love monster trucks, we just went to Monster Jam last weekend my son loved it. We have a Monster Sounds Bigfoot, got it off a neighbor haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Bet ya can't own just one.
Go to Top of Page

boats
Journeyman Modder

Belleville, Illinois
USA

207 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  20:06:48  Show Profile  Send boats a Yahoo! Message
nice, i'm about 1/2 hr from his shop, big fan of that truck

Peg Gator
Chevy Silverado
Extreme Machine go kart
Lil Beach Buggy Jeep
Harley motorcycle-parting out
Barbie Super 6 Trail Rider
VW New Beetle
lil Barbie 6v 4-wheeler
Ford F-150 Super 6
Go to Top of Page

HLMDAD
Expert Modder

Apple Valley
Cali
USA

857 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  01:25:25  Show Profile  Visit HLMDAD's Homepage
very nice post! this is great! awesome job

My wife said stop at 10... well 35 and counting.

My new website
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  07:13:16  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Great post! Very detailed and informative.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

MustangFreak
Senior Modder

San Antonio
Texas
USA

1221 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  14:16:43  Show Profile  Visit MustangFreak's Homepage  Send MustangFreak a Yahoo! Message
Nice work, I just found the (1989 Kransco) version... in bad shape. I wish I could fix it. It has good wheels and tires if anyone ever needs any. Havent tested the boxes yet.... The ones pictured sure do look nice... wish mine was in that kind of shape.

I'm not an addict, addicts have the potential to quit.
Go to Top of Page

jeepnyak

denison
texas
USA

24 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  23:18:20  Show Profile
i bought one in good shape with new batteries right before Christmas as a back up plan in case I messed up the Jeep build up that I was doing for my son. It's the 1989 one. I might part with it.
Go to Top of Page

defensivewound
Expert Modder

marysville
wa
USA

558 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  16:46:38  Show Profile
I just picked up the "late version" in decent condition for its age. Not sure what I'm doin with it just yet. I might part it out but I can't help but think it holds value in it's age.

Hummer H2http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14341
Mustang http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13851
Mustang Project 2 http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14695
Mustang 3- ROUSH http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20516
Go to Top of Page

jazzcat
Expert Modder

Mesa
az
USA

748 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  05:50:25  Show Profile  Visit jazzcat's Homepage
my cousins husband to be works for bigfoot..i was hoping to find one of these for them when they had kids but i think that trying to find a big foot when im 1700 miles away would be a bit of a pain

awesome article though..lots of good information

delightfully tacky
His- 1965 VW Bug - 45 year old dust collector/yard ornament
Hers- 2001 VW TDi Golf- 45 mpg with 1 battery
Kids- Berchet 2002 Porsche Boxster S - 6V of fury
MAGICA-1700 miles away..work in progress
Website- http://rustisnotacrime.com
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  19:55:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gseric69

Great post! Very detailed and informative.

gseric stole my words!

More pics of the yellow one coming soon...

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page

Sawblade
Apprentice Modder

Breckenrigde
MN
USA

61 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:20:14  Show Profile
Thanks for the history lesson. Really great post. I'd like to see more posts like this with other models of ride ons.

Power Wheels Sawblade
Power Wheels Walmart Exclusive Ninja Quad
Peg Perego John Deere 4x4 Off Road Gaucho
Spider-Man Lil Quad
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  23:08:34  Show Profile
Here ya go...

Hope that's what you were wanting. If you need a different angle or something, just let me know!

(pics link to threads)

Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  23:14:46  Show Profile
BTW: I also have these if want more pics of them...

(pics link to threads)

Go to Top of Page

brynbaily
Apprentice Modder

Ohio
State Buckeye
USA

99 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  09:03:31  Show Profile
I'm in to process of hunting for a Bigfoot now. My son has the Bigfoot fever now after going to the nationals. So I guess I will be adding another to the fleet.
How are these when modded? will they take 18 volts fairly well?

What an addiction! And I blame it entirely on you guys!

--------------------
- 36V Gaucho Grande
- 18V Ford Mustang GT
- 18V Xtreme Machine
- 12V Big Jake
- Two Cat Skidsteers
- Two Kawasaki Quads
- Peg John Deere
- OG Big Foot
- Two F-150's

Go to Top of Page

blake711
Advanced Modder

Skiatook
OK
USA

2622 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  07:41:49  Show Profile
J- are you parting either of those f-150 the red or blue one? I have red one and the little black dash piece is missing a knob or something.

Please sign up at new version of forum at http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/
complexity is the enemy of reliability
Go to Top of Page

punishment09
Journeyman Modder

Yuma
Az
USA

119 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  13:43:55  Show Profile
Man oh man oh man. I should have never opened this thread. After seeing that first pictures of the extremely huge tired bigfoot, I so wanna make that thing into a power wheels. Like brynbaily's signature says "What an addiction! And I blame it entirely on you guys!"

- Monte Carlo SS - http://modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15769
- 12v Lowes Nascar
- 6v Lil Wrangler Jeep
- 6v John Deer Backhoe
- 6v Airplane Thing

I am an indestuctable master of war
-Disturbed-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: