These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 Got into fight with PW jeep...steering problem
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dpt
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  06:38:25  Show Profile
One of the wheels on our Barbie jeep stopped turning with the steering wheel. I found that the plastic piece that holds the part of the axle that goes into wheel straight got all bent out of shape and caused the steering problem. After a half hour of persuasion, hence the ensuing fight, I was able to get this piece off. It was held on by this riveted bolt, not too sure what it's called.

41.96 KB

Anyone else have this happen before?

I had a spare axle set that I was able to get a new plastic piece from but now I don't know what I can use to fasten it back on. If anyone has done something like this I could really use the help. Below is a picture of where that rivet bolt used to be...

24.86 KB

Edited by - dpt on 03/04/2007 06:39:40

Johnny G
Journeyman Modder

WV

220 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  07:03:38  Show Profile
You can use a 5/8" threaded aluminum post with screw. You will have to use the washer that was part of the original part. You can get them at Lowes or other places.

Johnny G
1 Jeep "Skyjacker" almost done
1 Jeep "Dubster"
47cc Pocket Dirt Bike
03 YZ250
06 TTR50
Go to Top of Page

GriptionEh
Apprentice Modder

Ontario
Canada

54 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  07:10:31  Show Profile  Send GriptionEh a Yahoo! Message
Try this

I cut,bent(heat it)& drilled the linkage for a 1/4" clevis, the one shown installed I cut down as a short cut but you can tailor the install to your configuration as well as stack washers between the clevis & cut end. that way you can add or remove washers to adjust the toe. do not use the gold rod ends shown they do not support the plastic part & allow it to bend. the clevis supports the plastic top & bottom, you will need to drill the plastic for the clevis & trim it for thickness.

Cheers

86.55 KB

JG is this what you're talking about?

2.08 KB

I see them commonly referred to as Chicago screws

Edited by - GriptionEh on 03/04/2007 07:55:06
Go to Top of Page

dpt
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  08:25:49  Show Profile
Sweet!! If I use that aluminum post, should I leave some room for movement of the joints rather than torquing the screw tight? I like what you did, GriptionEh, but I don't know if I'm immediately equipped to do something like this, but when I get a little more experience (and tools) I will try it! I had a hard time getting that rivet bolt off with a screwdriver and eventually hacksaw. The white plastic piece that bent seems like a piece of garbage. The black replacement I got seems "appears" to be a little better quality plastic.
Go to Top of Page

Johnny G
Journeyman Modder

WV

220 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  09:12:14  Show Profile
You will need to use some loctite on the threads and tighten it up. If you get the size I listed it will leave enough play for free movement when tight. Be sure to use your existing washer on the screw side.

Johnny G
1 Jeep "Dubster"
47cc Pocket Dirt Bike
03 YZ250
06 TTR50
Go to Top of Page

Johnny G
Journeyman Modder

WV

220 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  09:17:05  Show Profile
The piece that GriptionEh showed is what I am talking about. When removing the factory rivet drilling it out from the bottom is the easiest way of removing it. I just built a lift for a jeep and had to use these on it because I totally redone all of the front steering components. The more I look at the way GriptionEh done his I may change to his setup though. I am not even using the stock plastic piece's.

Johnny G
1 Jeep "Dubster"
47cc Pocket Dirt Bike
03 YZ250
06 TTR50

Edited by - Johnny G on 03/04/2007 09:23:47
Go to Top of Page

GriptionEh
Apprentice Modder

Ontario
Canada

54 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  12:36:26  Show Profile  Send GriptionEh a Yahoo! Message
you can attach a stabiliser plate to the underside of the plastic link to prevent it from lifting off the spindle as it did on the white piece. here'e my patch for the problem. a small plate with wood screws holding it on. crude but it works & it held up to rubber wheels until that setup was decomissioned. you can see the wood screws poking up through on the clevis picture above.

73.9 KB

Edited by - GriptionEh on 03/04/2007 12:37:49
Go to Top of Page

dpt
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  14:57:50  Show Profile
I like the stabilizer plate idea. That's probably something I can manage to do. I just wonder how common this problem is? I suppose it's good preventative maintenance though.
Go to Top of Page

dpt
Journeyman Modder

104 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:48:01  Show Profile
The 5/8" aluminum post works perfect...thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: