These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Batteries and Wiring
 Power Wheels Kawasaki KFX Ninja
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ckfloorco

rochester
nh
USA

6 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  02:54:23  Show Profile
Has anyone modified a Power Wheels Kawasaki
KFX Ninja?

Chris Kinnison

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  07:11:30  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ckfloorco

Has anyone modified a Power Wheels Kawasaki
KFX Ninja?

Yup, a bunch of folks have. Search on KFX.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

ckfloorco

rochester
nh
USA

6 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  19:05:26  Show Profile
I have looked all over the boards But I haven't found any thing on converting my kfx 12v to a 24v please help chris

Chris Kinnison
Go to Top of Page

12vwiz
Expert Modder

Mobile
AL
USA

505 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  19:28:14  Show Profile
Hi and welcome
Some one on here has done one thing or another to every type of pw on the planet. I searched just like gseric69 suggested and found over 200 threads with your pw in mind. Is there a particular question you have?

My first mod - john deer gator On Hold
Peg Gator LHR shifter Wiring diagram
Big Foot - driver relocation In progress
Go to Top of Page

rockjessemax
Journeyman Modder

mayfield
kentucky
USA

478 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  22:28:23  Show Profile
I posted last month that My orange kfx was running on 18v with no issues for about 45 days. The very next day the c-board went boom. That's the only mod on the kfx I've tried. My shop is unheated so it'll just have to wait until spring.

Transporter of:
"LIBERTY BELL 7"
I LIVE IN A BATTERY POWERED WORLD
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  23:40:50  Show Profile
I have added a few items to my son's KFX. But I've kept it at 12v so far.
The next trick is going to be the Duratrax motors, heat sinks, and a change from 19T to 16T gearboxes. It still should go 20-30% faster than stock, but with more torque for his hill climbing.

I think the next wiring job will involve a 24v scooter controller with handlebar twist throttle and hand brake, and 21 or 23 turn Titans, with heat sinks and fans. Maybe a limiter resistor to keep him from full power for a while. And turn the existing go pedal into a dead-man's switch...

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

ckfloorco

rochester
nh
USA

6 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  12:51:46  Show Profile
Can i use the the wiring from the factory 12volt and update to a 24v? If not could I get a parts list.Thanks CK

Chris Kinnison
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  14:20:07  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ckfloorco

Can i use the the wiring from the factory 12volt and update to a 24v? If not could I get a parts list.Thanks CK

The circuit boards in these can be tempramental. Some folks have run 24V through them and not had any issues, and some, like rockjessemax, have toasted it on 18V.

I personally don't like 24V due to the frequent failure and replacement of parts it usually causes. Also 24V is a bit much for the stock 14awg wiring, and 10awg wiring should really be used for that much voltage.

Certain steps can be done to help the parts last longer, such as a true variable speed throttle with a scooter controller, adding a seperate brake pedal, and adding heat sinks to the motors. All of this has been discussed on many other threads, and the information can be found by using the search feature and reading the FAQs.

Another issue is the space for the batteries. If I remember correctly, the battery compartment in the KFX Ninja's is pretty tight, so you should measure to make sure you have enough space for the batteries you plan to use.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

mikecordell
Apprentice Modder

Mattersville

USA

55 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  00:36:26  Show Profile  Send mikecordell a Yahoo! Message
The circuit board can be bypassed on these without any problems. I rewired mine to a more traditional direct wiring and it worked fine until it ate the gearboxes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: