These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Dumar caterpillar dump truck
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

d3spop

9 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  14:27:17  Show Profile
Hey guys, I need some advice. I recently purchased the Dumar Cat dump truck for my 4 year old. He hasn't been able to drive it much because of the cold weather. The few times he did though it is apparent it needs some more traction. It spins pretty bad on dry grass. This thing has 6 wheels. Do I need to buy traction bands? Make my own? Do I need them for all 6 wheels? Any help will be appreciated, I have got to get this thing right b4 the weather gets warm. Thanks.

jasncab
Forum Admin

Phoenix
AZ
USA

1119 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  15:12:43  Show Profile  Visit jasncab's Homepage
Dont buy the traction bands sold on those websites..

Check out the BMX tires video on the homepage.

If you only run it on grass or sand or dirt then you will be ok. I would try only two tires at first.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/shop
Go to Top of Page

d3spop

9 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  16:46:57  Show Profile
I'm gonna try taking off the back 2 non-pulling wheels tomorrow and see if it pulls better. I don't think it will affect the balance. What do you old pros think?
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Knuckle

St. Paul
Minnesota
USA

10 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  21:50:31  Show Profile
for traction on one of my Jeeps I used an old serpentine belt. I mounted it down the center of each tire and screwed it place every few inches with wood screws. Works like a charm and is a free fix.
Go to Top of Page

greatdane
Expert Modder

Northwest
IN
USA

737 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  02:19:15  Show Profile
How about some pice? Let me guess, its the middle wheels that spin? How many drive wheels? Could you add another set of gearboxes on the other set of back wheels?

Bike tires/traction bands may help the traction but tear up the gearboxes, since the plastic tires act like sort of a clutch for the instant start of the motors (in this case they may be working too well)
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  04:57:37  Show Profile
I was checking out one of those at Wal Mart yesterday. I was able to see under it because the display model was on the top shelf. Of the four back tires, only the two that are in the front are driven. I don't think that removing the back two will help. Was the ground frozen when it was driven?

It's my Little Duece Coupe...You don't know what I got.
Go to Top of Page

d3spop

9 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:03:08  Show Profile
I knew that the front two on the back were the only two that pulled which is why I was considering removing the back two. The back 2 will raise the 2 pulling wheels off the ground if it gets unlevel at all. I don't know if this will help, but it seems like the 2 pulling wheels would get better traction this way. What do ya'll think? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:03:26  Show Profile
Yeah, frozen ground causes the plastic tires to get almost no traction.
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  12:17:15  Show Profile
Removing the rear wheels would help on uneven ground, but I don't know how it would affect the weight distribution. Is it possible to raise them slightly? You know what would be cool? If you could make it all wheel drive. I know, it would be expensive, but it would solve alot of traction issues. Also, what is the deal with the bed? It looked like you could not put any thing in it.

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  12:21:00  Show Profile
Can anyone post a link to a picture of this beast? Dumar's website is about as elusive as you can get. Do they have a bunch of covert CIA agents working for them or something?

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  12:23:04  Show Profile
Have you tried looking on Wal Mart's website?

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  15:10:38  Show Profile
Oops...silly me, looking for the manufacturer's website and all...<LOL>

I'll have to take a look. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

d3spop

9 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  17:33:28  Show Profile
I took the backwheels off today, and now it works great. I was worried about the balance but it is fine. My kid took it up hills going and stopping and it would not pop a wheelie. It will now go through grass and dirt very well. I appreciate the help. This thing is huge by the way, but it will fly down the street. Is has a backup alarm and a flashing rotary beacon. This bad boy sells at Wal mart for $300, but my local store has them on clearance for $124.
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  16:37:07  Show Profile
Good buy, man. I'd definetly pay that. Do you own any other ride on toys? If so how is the build quality compared with the other brands?

Go to Top of Page

d3spop

9 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  15:55:41  Show Profile
We do have a power wheels 12volt jeep at my mother-in-laws. The dumar is definately heavier, but it also seems to be just as fast. It looks a little odd with the back wheels off, but my kid drives it all over the yard without spinning and he goes up hill without the front end rearing up. You may want to ckeck your local wal-mart. Mine has two more of these at the $124 clearance price. If the shipping wasn't so much I'd buy them and put them on ebay.
Go to Top of Page

allan
Journeyman Modder

victoria
Australia

254 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  20:14:50  Show Profile
Is this the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Volt-Caterpillar-Ride-on-Dump-Truck-NEW_W0QQitemZ270081785406QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2574QQcmdZViewItem
Go to Top of Page

d3spop

9 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  02:13:04  Show Profile
That is it!
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  04:48:05  Show Profile
That is really cool...never seen one before. Wal-Mart must e discontinuning them because they were not listed on their website.

I'd be tempted at modifying that for 4 drive wheels.

Go to Top of Page

allan
Journeyman Modder

victoria
Australia

254 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  12:09:48  Show Profile
What about a 6 wheel drive?????
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  14:21:41  Show Profile
That's what I'm talking about. Imagine the traction with 6WD.

Tiddler, right after I told you to check Wal Mart's website I looked for it, and I could not find it either. They have not been out for long. If they are discontinuing them I wonder why.

Go to Top of Page

makeitbad
Journeyman Modder

228 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  15:09:03  Show Profile  Send makeitbad a Yahoo! Message
how is the rear axle mounted ? a straight piece of rod going through holes in the sides of the chassis with the wheels mounted on it ?? if that is the case, you could simply elongate the holes upward some so that the rear rear axle could move up and down easily and not take any of the load off the front drive axle, even on uneven ground on side could raise to accomodate changes in levels....an inch or 1.5 inches of elongation of the axle holes straight up form original should accomadate most changes i would think....as long as it didnt go up and hit the lil fender...just my 2 cents on it .....

I might be crazy, but my ideas are the only thing I own !
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  15:48:06  Show Profile
Makeitbad has a point. Also, if there are axles for both sets of rear tires, then you could do the posi mod, and then you could tie them together with cogged pulleys and a timing belt. Someone on here posted a link to SDP SI before. They sell all of that kind of stuff.
www.sdp-si.com is their website.

Go to Top of Page

makeitbad
Journeyman Modder

228 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  14:50:48  Show Profile  Send makeitbad a Yahoo! Message
what also could be cool is to somehow make a "track" for both sides that slips over the tires and makes it like a tank on the rear, it would involve some looking into some materials, and making sure the sides of the track hang down over the sidewalls of the tires well so it doesnt side slip when turning and come off, but would be cool and end the problem also...ideas...thoughts, empty pockets, they just dont go together well.........

I might be crazy, but my ideas are the only thing I own !
Go to Top of Page

greatdane
Expert Modder

Northwest
IN
USA

737 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  16:43:32  Show Profile
Track drive...now thats cool. But could it turn????
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  17:07:14  Show Profile
It would turn real well if you could hook up relays to shut the power off to the side that you turn the steering wheel towards. Plus you could do the bike tire mod to the front tires.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: