These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Speed
 mx500 upgrade 101 q&a
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  06:53:39  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
mx500 has a 500watt motor with a 30amp controller... for a simple and cost efficient upgrade you can just swap out the controller and up your voltage to 48volts...for that you will need these:
controller: 48v/50amp or 48v/100amp i recommend 48v/100amp more torque for your money.. around 35.00
36voltbatterythis battery is what i use for the fact it will sit in the down tray perfect... go to tncscooters.com for the controller...
go to surplus center for the 36volt battery, battery will cost 14.95 plus shipping... big savings considering they cost 64.00 new.. i bought 3 and they all are in great shape...
now if you want to replace the motor then get the 750watt motor( blue motor not black one... when ordering from tncscooters call them and talk to chris, tell them armando sent you... and let him know your upgrading the mx500.... with these 2/3 parts there is no mods to be made to the frame but for the controller you will have to cut some plastic away from the top casing to make it fit under the bar but it will not be noticed when complete...
list:
controller: 48v/100amp
battery: 36volt block
motor: 750watt(optional)
fuse: you may use one on bike or buy a 50amp resettable breaker
total cost without motor around 70.00 that's the high end will be cheaper. with motor 130.00..... any question let me know and i'll do my best to answer them... later,

armando/ co founder EVPB 30MPH CLUB

Edited by - aproldan on 02/13/2007 13:24:35

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  07:34:19  Show Profile
Will the stock throttle and power cut off brake switches work on the new controller, ala plug and play so to speak?

****Testing the limits of Fisher Price engineering on a daily basis.****

Edited by - TiddlerRacer on 02/12/2007 07:34:46
Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  07:43:13  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
with the 100amp controller the brake cutoff will not work but will not effect the bike if not connected... i don't use them,, but i do have an emergency cutoff in the tank if i ever needed it...

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  12:22:45  Show Profile
So I assume then that the stock throttle assembly will work and I do not have to purchase another one? Also, I've seen 1200W motors with the same dimensions and sprocket as stock already attached. If I upgraded to that motor, would I achieve that much more torque / low end snap? Thanks again!

Edited by - TiddlerRacer on 02/12/2007 12:24:46
Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  12:33:42  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
hey guy, for those who want to upgrade their mx500 i just of an easier way for some who doesn't want to get over their heads on this... this may sound like a downgrade but in reality it is an upgrade... now here me out.... i would not tell you to do anything i haven't done before... the easiest is this... your bike has in it a 500watt motor but runs off of 36volt.. you can buy a 500watt motor that runs off of 24 volt and just swap motors so all you are changing is the motor and everything else stays the same... basicly it will be a plug and play... the motor is only 50.00 and it is the exact style motor and will drop in place of the 36volt motor already in there.... not mods... and the best part is you will have the same effect as the upgrade i first mentioned for only 50.00 and don't have to spend anything else( well i say replace that fuse in the plastic case with a resettable breaker... so total will be 55.00-60.00 no more... think about it and let me know which way you guys will go... remember my first list top speed will be around 21 for the grownups for the kids 23mph,,,,, the motor swap olny with a 500watt motor@24volt top speed will be 21 for grownups and kids 23mph.... i'd go with the motor swap but everyone is different.....
Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  14:25:24  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
quote:
I've seen 1200W motors with the same dimensions

with the 1200 watt motor the motor is 2inche longer then the stock motor... unless your very well knowledge on modding the back end i would not suggest it... an online friend did do that and with 2 guys it took 6 hours and they had all the equipment.... btw i just swapped motors(the 36volt 500watt to 24volt 500 watt just to make sure i remembered how it works and i didn't give the wrong info... and yes you get the same result as a 48vlt 750watt upgrade... thought you'd like to know... i got up to 22mph and just as qiuck and i weight 180lbs.

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  15:35:18  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
update on speed in the road 24mph.. with my big butt on it...... 19mph in the grass.... have a gps so very accurate results... remember that's with a 180lbs. man on it... later

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  15:56:13  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
here's the 1200watt and your stock motor side by side. see the 1200 is about 2inches longer... the thickness of the end cap....

158.26 KB

53.73 KB
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  16:22:00  Show Profile
Ah, I see. I'll probably end up getting the 750 watt motor if it will give me more low end grunt. I want to build a fire breather here. This is for me (180 as well) to ride on our backyard track. I want to stomp my wife this spring (for some reason or another her bike is faster than mine and it drives me nuts!) when we line 'em up. Then I'll eventually have to duplicate the results on her bike...but at least the first race will be sweet revenge. <LOL>

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  16:40:12  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
tiddler you realise the watts is not what will give you the torque/grunt... it's the amps and with just that motor swap you will get more grunt then the 750 cause you will be upping the voltage... and it will also be 8-10lbs. lighter.. may sound like a some amount but with electric it makes a big different in speed..... when i had the 750watt motor and the 48volt100amp controller i did 21-22mph.. with the 24volt motor 500watt and 36volt 40amp i accelarated fast and gained 2 mph more and tomorrow with a full battery i may hit 25 or 26mph... something to think about...

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  17:39:34  Show Profile
Ok, I think that is where a lot of confusion is coming in on my part. The motors are rated in watts but I do not know how that translates into performance. I'm used to RC motors where they are rated in terms of turns and winds.

I've seen 36V / 100A controllers out there. Would that be too much to run with the 24V motor?

Sorry, I'm just trying to get my arms around this topic and plan out my parts list accordingly.

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  18:31:34  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
i'm trying to help by if this is your first time modding something at the scale to go it simple way this way if you do something wrong or some how fry something like the motor it will only be 50buck rather then 130 buck.. the other thing is if your not happy then you can just put your original motor back on what little to no work.. tell you what if you decide after you do a motor change you want to go all out with the big setup i'll buy the motor from you @ the same price (if you get it from tncscooters.com) and you don't lose any money... i'm going to hook up with a bud of mine i'll try by this weekend and have his boysmx500 which is running stock and my boys bike with the 24volt motor and vid them racing on dirt and road so you can see how much more power it has over the stock one..... sorry i'm just trying to save you money... but it is your money.... hope you under stand my view on this....

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  03:23:56  Show Profile
I'm trying to get a handle on what I need to buy. You've been down this road before and I have not so I'm trying to get some advice so I don't end up shotgun-ing money and parts at the bike. I would like to have a plan going into the build. It seems like each post there is a lot of new information taking me in a different direction and it's getting a little confusing.

Let's start over. Place yourself in my shoes. You have a MX500, you weigh 180 pounds, and you have a small backyard grass MX track with no elevation changes and a few jumps. The main objective is more power but focusing on more low end torque /snap rathar than all out speed. I figure I paid half price for the bike, so I'll allocate $140 for the budget to mod this bike.

Now, with yourself in my shoes, with those objectives and budget, which set up would you use? 48V controller and stock motor or 24V motor?

Just to clarify too I'm reading your posts and I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to get a firm grip on the subject before I throw cubic dollars at a project and end up with a pile of parts.

Go to Top of Page

treebeme
Advanced Modder

Holtsville
NY
USA

3209 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  04:48:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TiddlerRacer

I'm trying to get a handle on what I need to buy. You've been down this road before and I have not so I'm trying to get some advice so I don't end up shotgun-ing money and parts at the bike. I would like to have a plan going into the build. It seems like each post there is a lot of new information taking me in a different direction and it's getting a little confusing.

Let's start over. Place yourself in my shoes. You have a MX500, you weigh 180 pounds, and you have a small backyard grass MX track with no elevation changes and a few jumps. The main objective is more power but focusing on more low end torque /snap rathar than all out speed. I figure I paid half price for the bike, so I'll allocate $140 for the budget to mod this bike.

Now, with yourself in my shoes, with those objectives and budget, which set up would you use? 48V controller and stock motor or 24V motor?

Just to clarify too I'm reading your posts and I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to get a firm grip on the subject before I throw cubic dollars at a project and end up with a pile of parts.

I believe all he is saying is that you will get more power and rpms from overvolting a 24v motor than you would with buying a motor designed for 36v. Similar to how running a super6v powerwheels at 12v will end up being faster than a 12v powerwheels running at the stock 12v.

Of course, reliability will probably suffer as a result just like it does on the powerwheels motors.
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  04:53:53  Show Profile
Yes, I understand the concept behind overvolting a motor, but there are a lot of holes in what he has described. Do I overvolt the 24V motor the stock controller or a differnet one? Is the 24V motor really an advantage over the 36V motor and 48V controller or is it just advantageous from a financial standpoint? Can the stock throttle assembly be used with the 48V controller? Would the 24V motor achieve even great gains or just a lot of smoke using a 36V / 100 amp controller?

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  08:54:51  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
email me your # and i'll call you and explain it to you, cause it's seems that i'm not typing it down right for you....and your throttle will work no need to replace it... and no you won't end up with a pile of parts... i am mostly on Iamadork.com in the electric section... i give advice and how to upgrades on there bikes... i don't have no fancy degree to flash here just a whole lot of experience in electric since i was 8... i'm 40 now.... take a look on that site and you can read all the people i've helped out...

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  11:23:55  Show Profile
I understand most everything you have written and I am not questioning your knowledge in any way, shape, or form. The communication issue is coming up when I ask a specific question and it does not get answered or you start discussing another topic instead of the question / issue at hand. I pretty much outlined what I want to do with the bike and what I would like out of it, gave a budget, and asked which route you would take to get there. I did not see an answer for this. What I would like is to tap into your knowledge and experience to determine what path I should follow for modding the bike. If it's a wash in terms of performance then heck I'll go the cheap route. If one is better than the other then that is what I want to know and why it's better so I can make an educated choice.

The confusion on the motor wattage question came up from this line you typed in the other MX500 thread:

"motor upgrade is a good idea if your riding on soft dirt or thick grass.. but if your riding on hard dirt thin grass or road it really isn't necessary. but nice to know you have some extra power..."

I assumed (incorrectly) that upgrading the motor wattage gave you more torque (hence the "extra power" comment). Now I understand that is not correct. What is confusing me is when we are discussing specific items and you keep jumping around to related yet different topics.

So, again I understand overall what you are saying but I am asking for specifics on each set up.

BTW - I popped in over at youareadork.com and that is a very cool site. A lot of great info over there!

Thanks again for everything and for taking the time to share your knowledge and experiences.

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  13:00:35  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
ok i went back and read this whole topic from the beginning.. and you are right i have jumped from here to there... sorry... so i will try to some this whole thing up to see if i can fix my mess.....
first your looking for the best setup for your needs... ok,
if your looking for more power(not speed)... right... (now the watts is what a motor is rated @) you want a controller for 36volts/50amps-100amps... the controller is like your hi-octane(amps is your torque ) which will as you put it your grunt in the beginning of your race... and with the bigger amps it kicks in when your bike gets into soft or thick grass... i hope i'm making sence...(btw with any setup/upgrade your throttle will never have to be changed out)....
the 48v/100amp set up is basicly for more speed 7-10mph fast for hard surfaces..(hard dirt,thin grass,, road).... this setup will demand power so make sure your battery is in top shape... with this setup you need the 48v/50 or 100amp controller, 750 watt(but you can use the stock motor with this setup)and a 36voltblock battery...(throttle does not need to be replaced...)
and then we has the motor swap. with this setup it is also meant for speed on hard surfaces(i've explained in the previous paragraph what hard surfaces is to me, but for only 50 bucks... with this setup everything stays the same no controller swap no battery swap no throttle swap... all you do with this setup is put a 24v/500 watt motor on it... and yes the last 2 setups you are upping the volts which is making your motor spin from 2800rpms(with a load) to 4000rpms
(with a load on it)....
sorry this is the best i can explain it... i'll leave it like this before i say too much just to see if this helps out...

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  13:10:41  Show Profile
Perfect!!! Thank you for the clarification!

I'll have a couple week before I start rounding up the items but right now after reading your write up I'm leaning towards just the motor swap. I kind of realized today that I will have to perform the upgrades on the wife's bike as well (eventually) so to stay in the budget I'll have to stay cheap. I might go ahead and pick up a couple of those mini-moto batteries and stick with 36V, just to lower the CG of the bike and run only one battery.

Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  13:34:38  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
i am so glad that all is fixed... had me thinking i was screwing up in my old age..... order the motor from tncscooters.com... i would call them and talk to chris.... ask him for the the blue motor not the black... (Here we go again)blue motors are rated @27amp(more of a torque motor) black are rated @16amps (Just for speed)not meant for grass...or tell him i sent you and he'll get you the right part/s....
i edited the title to this thread since it ended up more of a q&a thread.....

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  15:26:59  Show Profile
I'll contact Chris on those motors. I've traded email with him before on some replacement wheels for a MX3 mini bike and he seemed like a very nice and helpful guy. I'll tell him you sent me...hopefully he doesn't put a block on my email. <LOL> j/k

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  12:21:01  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
find a vid of the mx500 when it was still stock.. and got a vid with the 24volt motor swap and everything elese on the bike is stock...this is just so you can here the difference in how the motor sounds stock and what it sounds like on steriods...
#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ5yVUXQEi8

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRuokzeym8

it may not be avalible for a few minutes i just uploaded it.....

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  03:22:36  Show Profile
Wow...BIG difference!

Man, I'm getting pumped for warm weather to hit. Next weekend I'm going to get started on the bike. I'm supposed to start getting our real dirt bikes ready for racing season next weekend but I think that is headed to the back burner for a week or three.

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  10:52:03  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
i told you there's a big difference in power.. that why i labeled the vid mx500 on steriods lol...... any way i forgot a important thing you need...if you decide to use the stock fuse(same fuse a car uses) you need to a 40-50 amp fuse rather then the 30 in there.... 50amp one should be good... or find a resettable breaker @ 50amps... i many have a sight but not sure... i'll find the site and post it up if i remember correctly it was about 6.00 but still well worth it... so add that to your list...

Go to Top of Page

look at my boy go

18 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  18:49:15  Show Profile
uh i have a 18 volt minimoto i wanna up the volts to 24 or 36 without touching anything else.... is it possible at 24v or both or will it fry the motor?
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  04:57:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aproldan
order the motor from tncscooters.com... i would call them and talk to chris.... ask him for the the blue motor not the black... (Here we go again)blue motors are rated @27amp(more of a torque motor) black are rated @16amps (Just for speed)not meant for grass...or tell him i sent you and he'll get you the right part/s....

Happen to have another source for this motor? I contacted Chris and he only has the black motors, not the blue.

Go to Top of Page

Johnny G
Journeyman Modder

WV

220 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  06:35:43  Show Profile
I have seen some blue 750 watt 48 volt motors on Ebay. I don't know if it is the same one you want though. You may check. Just a suggestion.

Johnny G
1 Jeep "Skyjacker" almost done
1 Jeep "Dubster"
47cc Pocket Dirt Bike
03 YZ250
06 TTR50
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  06:42:00  Show Profile
Thanks Johnny G but I'm looking for a 24V, 500W motor. Maybe I'll email the ebay seller and see if they have one or can get one.

Go to Top of Page

Johnny G
Journeyman Modder

WV

220 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  07:07:47  Show Profile
My bad. Actually what I seen was 36 volts anyway. Does the motor have the bracket built on it?

Johnny G
1 Jeep "Skyjacker" almost done
1 Jeep "Dubster"
47cc Pocket Dirt Bike
03 YZ250
06 TTR50
Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  13:44:49  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
well that stinks.... i would say buy the black motor but it is rated 10 amps less then the blue... and since you are running it in the grass i really don't know how or if it will work... on the road it's quick as lighting and fast as hell....sends my by @27.8 mph on the pocket bike i made him... and the gear setup is 5:1 ratio... did chris say he is ordering anymore????

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  15:46:07  Show Profile
He said demand for the 24V 500W motors are very low (that surely explains being sold out...LOL) so he does not know if or when more will be ordered.

Bummage. I scoured ebay today and googled every possible combination of 24V 500W electric motor I could think of to no avail.

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  16:45:10  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
if you find one on ebay, don't pay more then 50.00 (that would include shipping)..... if you want to try something to make it go about 3mph more for now, you could adjust the timing on your motor...(now i'm giving away my secret lol.... but it's just like doing to timing on your car... one way makes the motor fast and the other way makes slower but with more torque.... all you have to do is take of the motor the frame and loosen the 2 screws on theback of the motor( just enough for you to be able to turn the back an 1/8" and tighten back up... not need to disconnect wires... once you adjust the timing, bfore you put it back on turn the throttle on full... you will hear the motor running about 500-800rpms more.... and that will cost you nothing but time...like i mentioned before the other way will give you more torque... so it's up to you which one you want to go... since you know what you need to ride thru your grass....

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  09:54:02  Show Profile
Looks like TNC has them back in stock already! Checked their site last night and ordered one today. 24V, 500W, 27.4A, blue label. Whahoo!

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  18:54:18  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
are you sure???????? i thought they were out of them.... did you make sure with chris?????? ok when you get it let me know and i will tell you what you'll need to do.. it's an easy swap but you need to do one thing before you try to put the motor in...you'll see when we get to that part.... glad you found the motor....

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  20:21:38  Show Profile
Actually I didn't make sure with Chris. I called and spoke to another guy...hopefully it's the right one. It is this one:

500W Motor - 24 Volts (Model: MY1020)
Motor Parts - 106120
Shipping Weight: 11.0 lbs.

MY1020 24 Volt, 500 Watt, 2500 RPM, 27.4 Amp, permanent-magnet motor.

About 7/8 way down this page:

http://tncscooters.com/partsdb.php?type=ES

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  09:53:29  Show Profile
Good news - the motor arrived today and is the correct one (blue label)! Whoohoo...I think I'll probably install this in a couple weeks. What item(s) do I need to have a heads up on going into the install? It appears to be pretty straight forward.

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  22:27:38  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
there is one thing you need to do..you need to switch the end caps of the motor.. it isn't that hard since it's your first time it may take 20minutes to do... don't let it scare you it really is simply... when your ready let me know and i'll guide you thru it... if you want i'll post some pics or i'll just make a vid so you can see exactly how it's done..... but if you decide to go head and try it make sure you mark the can and the end cap so you will have the timing where it should be...

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  18:11:00  Show Profile
Finally got around to installing this motor today. Replaced the end bell and lined up the timing marks like the old motor. The wife was at the store, so later in the day we got the bikes out and she was talking MAD smack. We had raced on Saturday and the result was like last year - she bike is a tick faster and with our weight difference she pulls me with ease.

We took off and I played sly - ran about 1/2 throttle just letting her pull me a little bit. About 1/2 way down the road I twisted it full throttle and gave her a peace sign as I left her. Classic.

When we got home she asked me what I did to the bike - I told her I lubed the chain. <LOL> Then, as I suspected she asked, "Can you please make my bike go that fast?" She took it for a spin and was impressed - as was I. Thanks for the help aproldan!

Tonight I spun laps on the track and continued to be impressed. The bike isn't "jerk your arms out of their sockets" fast but it's enough of a boost to make it a lot of fun. I have the speed now to clear the biggest jump on the track. Cornering takes on a whole new meaning. It actually carries enough speed now that I can stick it in a berm, lay it over, and the footpeg folds up because it's dragging. I have to make some new berms this year. With the new found speed I definitely need to get busy on some suspension upgrades. Those poor forks just go "CLANG" over everything now.

One issue was after about 10 hards laps the bike started to slow quickly. I thought it was really fast to have the battery dump but then all of a sudden the bike went into thermal shut down and smelled hot. After a few minutes it took off again with full power. Would a controller upgrade prevent it from thermalling? If so, should I look for something in a higher amperage rating or somethign more stout in the same amperage? I'm also thinking of punching a hole in the plastic, installing a tube for cold air induction cooling for the controller.

Edited by - TiddlerRacer on 04/22/2007 18:12:58
Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  19:32:13  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
sounds like you put momma in her place this time lol, and sounds like your having alittle too much fun with your throttle.... you will need to keep your eyes on your motor... remember your over volting the motor just like the powerwheel motors so it will get hot quicker... what kind oh riding time are you getting.. and how old are your batteries... and did you get the 36volt battery block from surpluscenter.com
because i use those batteries and the best part is it fits in the bottom tray which eliminates the use of the battery on the top tray... inturn makes the bike 10lbs. lighter... i've been using the stock controller and don't have any problems with so i think your good with the controller on it for now... my boys bike is going on 2year old now and still works great... but i think your ideal of fresh air into the controller is worth it... when my boys motor get real hot i park a fan on it and set the fan on high to cool it off...btw are you using the stock fuse still... ok i hope you are happy with your motor swap... and once again keep your eye on the motor.. don't want it to get too hot... if you give me some time i'm going to be testing a motor out.. if it works good then you can just give momma your motor... and work on getting the same motor i'm working on... i found it on ebay... it's a hub motor and does 30mph.. cost me for the controller and the motor + shpping 130.00....oh and it's a brushless motor... enjoy your bike,

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  15:47:01  Show Profile
Yeah, I will have to keep an eye on the temps. The motor was definitely warm but I think the controller temperature was an even greater issue.

I have not switched to the mini-moto battery yet. I am still running the stock batteries but I should order a couple of those batteries just to have. I do not know about my ride time yet, I rode for a short while on Sunday night, then it got dark. I'll know more this weekend.

I am still running the stock fuse. I am very happy with the motor swap, hopefully the thermal shut down issue can be resulved with a little cooling. If not I'll probably switch back to the stock motor for bombing around the track. The faster motor is so much fun though - the bike jumps easier and it's fun to be able to stuff it into a berm so hard the suspension bottoms out. At stock speeds I could turn the throttle to full and leave it there for the entire time around the track. Now I have to shut off in one spot per lap, lest I want to become a fence ornament.

That motor/controller combo sound interesting. Have a link? How is the torque with an adult rider?

Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  17:25:17  Show Profile
Ok, after another week with the modified MX500 I found I want more low end power. My wife and I lined the bikes up side by side and she SMOKED me out of the hole. It took a good distance before I caught and passed her. With the original motor acceleration was only slightly different between the bikes, now there is a big difference. It appears I actually lost low end power over the original motor. The top end speed is so much faster though...measured around 14MPH stock and now is around 23MPH. I love the top end but the lack of bottom drives me nuts, especially on the track.

To try to give the bike more bottom I brought the motor timing back closer to neutral. I was going to try to retard the timing a bit but for some reason I couldn't spin the end bell back past neutral. While this did help the bottom end a bit (it also took a couple MPH off the top end) but it is still doggy.

So, any suggestions to enhance the low end punch? I thought of (if possible) dropping a couple teeth from the front sprocket or adding a couple to the rear, and would it help to get a higher amperage controller? If not I'll probably put the original motor back in the bike. While the other motor is fun for all out speed it lacks in tight riding situations, acceleration isn't very good, heat is an issue, and battery life isn't very good.

Thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  19:42:05  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
go to pocket bike planet and start a post on this.. my friend mike has turned his boys bike into a monster... he may have a good answer for you on this...and maybe down the line you may want to do his setup... anyway get the motor for the dirtbike,(the one i had mentioned).... it is 1/4" too wide, unless i fad and mod the withe of the rear it would fit.. since i'm not a fab guy i will leave it alone.... but i did fit it on my pocketbike and it fit perfect...i am going to try to put this bike back together and see how it works out... the motor i got off of ebay it's a sweet motor and don't need a chain since it's a rear hub motor... and she it super quiet... i'll give you moroe info on how the test run goes...don't forget to start a new post on pbp and my bud mike will answer all your questions his setup is 48v, 100 amp controller, 1.5hp motor, gear ratio is 8.18:1 top speed is 20.6mph but it's all muscle..
Go to Top of Page

TiddlerRacer
Senior Modder

Adrian
MI
USA

1849 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  13:12:20  Show Profile
I was looking around over there today and saw the thread about his bike where he is advising the kid who wants to modify the MX650. GREAT info! Looks like all the info I need is there in that thread. I'll keep you updated how I make out with the bike.

Go to Top of Page

aproldan

oldsmar
florida
USA

46 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  14:25:13  Show Profile  Visit aproldan's Homepage  Send aproldan a Yahoo! Message
tiddler i have an update for you on this brushless motor... if you find a way to widen the rear forks(the part that holds the wheel) i just finished testing this motor out.. and it did great... althought it's on my pocketbike i still took it on the grass and had plenty of power running still i'll post a vid of it on youtube...
Go to Top of Page

Batteries Included
Senior Modder

Deltona
Florida
USA

1474 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  15:04:20  Show Profile
Aproldan, where is Oldsmar, Florida? I live thirty minutes north of Orlando in Deltona. I can weld, and I have access to some equipment at work.

It's my Little Deuce Coupe...You don't know what I got.
Go to Top of Page

electricbike

4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  21:48:07  Show Profile
dude if you relly want power for your mx500 do this; replace the the 36v 500w motor with a 36v 750w one, buy an 48v 100amp controler and buy a another 12v 12ah battery. This way instead of overvolting a 24v 500w motor, you overvolt a 36v 750w motor! It will be more expensive but much more rewarding. Btw I have had my mx500 for about a 1.5 years and it is still running great. I'm thirteen and it has been the best thing i've ever bought.
Go to Top of Page

fisherjames73

Keller
tx

1 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  15:42:41  Show Profile
I have not herd back from Chris at TNC scooters, is he still their? I could oder the parts with out him if some one could tell me which controller I need for the 48V upgrade???? Anyone?? Their seems to be a couple of the 48V 40-100amp controllers
Go to Top of Page

Need4Speed

USA

2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  10:40:59  Show Profile
How can I make my MX650 go as fast as possible without a cut and weld job??? I want it to go REALLY REALLY fast
Go to Top of Page

Need4Speed

USA

2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  10:42:10  Show Profile
and 1 thing electricbike, how did u connect the other battery so you could overvolt the 36V motor???
Go to Top of Page

gregsgroup

macungie
pa
USA

20 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  18:33:41  Show Profile  Visit gregsgroup's Homepage
This might help for fast speeds Slikkster posted on my topic and he said... "Go with 48 volts,it will be faster and have more torque.i'm running a 500watt 24volt motor at 48volts with a 100amp controller and gettin 26-30mph.I am only 145 lbs though.11/80 gearing with a 12" back wheel.Go with 48."

Oh to answer your question Need4speed just look at the way the other batteries are connected.

PW mx3 minibike (not done yet)

36Volt Razor E-300

Fast is good but faster is better!!
Go to Top of Page

Slickkster

25 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  08:30:43  Show Profile
Here's some pics

59.31 KB

55.61 KB

94.45 KB
Go to Top of Page