These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Speed
 24 Volt variable speed conversion
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:05:56  Show Profile
First of all I am new here. I modified a rally car awhile back with a scooter controller, a scooter throttle, and 2 scooter batteries. I modified an existing wiring harness so you could still use the brake, and I had to put T-bars on it so the throttle would fit. Top speed was about 15mph but the wife made me take it apart for safety concerns. I am attempting to attach a picture if this allows it. This modification can be made to any Powerwheels to give it variable speed, however I would run the motors inline instead of parallel in order to keep you normal top speed (that way each motor still only sees 12V). good luck! I'll try to answer any questions when I can.

157.5 KB

jasncab
Forum Admin

Phoenix
AZ
USA

1119 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:20:53  Show Profile  Visit jasncab's Homepage
Pretty cool. Any part numbers or resources where we can pick up the controls?
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:43:09  Show Profile
It's been like a year since I made this one. Originally I was converting the cheap green MX bike they had to a 24V scooter.

I ordered the parts from here www.tncscooters.com

the throttle is like $7, controller $12, old wiring harness including reverse switch came from a 6V powerwheels, the batteries are 2-12V 12ah scooter batteries that can be bought off ebay for less than $20 apiece. I once bought a half dozen of these for $8 apiece including shipping. I had every kid in the neighborhood outfitted for our annual race! Remember, this modification can be done to practically anything. I have done it to the Powerwheels 12V scooters to turn them into something that is actually fun to ride.

124.08 KB
Go to Top of Page

jasncab
Forum Admin

Phoenix
AZ
USA

1119 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:57:12  Show Profile  Visit jasncab's Homepage
Wow. That is awesome. Looks like my neighborhood on a weekend.

I cant wait for the first annual modifiedpowerwheels.com races.
Go to Top of Page

simon@work
Apprentice Modder

USA

53 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  12:50:01  Show Profile
Is K man Kelly? Kelly from buggyforum?

Simon
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  13:13:34  Show Profile
Yes, but you will have to excuse me, I don't remember a Simon? did you go by a different screen name?
Go to Top of Page

catz

18 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  13:26:43  Show Profile
Any way to easily modify those hand controls into a foot pedal?
Go to Top of Page

simon@work
Apprentice Modder

USA

53 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  17:37:55  Show Profile
K-Man,

I remember the photo in the 'my other hobbies' section.

I guess you being here also gives me some confidence that I am not the only one with the same addiction/can't stop fiddling syndrome

Simon
Go to Top of Page

T.E.G.S.

USA

37 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  07:50:18  Show Profile
That pic show what this is all about - fun for the kids! Of course we have fun working on them too! That is a great pic - so who won the race and what mods where done to the winning PW?

The Electronic Garage Sale
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  07:57:30  Show Profile
Simon, how close are you to Paducah? I've got a few extra parts if you could use them, I just don't want to ship them though.

Yes, all those Powerwheels were mine, I gave most of them away though, as far as racing, I NEVER let inexperienced kids ride them, this is at a birthday party with family and friends so I kept them all at 12V. Those kids can get pretty nuts you know.

A few things about re-wiring for use with a scooter controller.

1. the output of your controller should go into the battery input of your 6V harness. The reason I used a 6V harness is that it is simpler.

2. Your gas pedal switch now needs to be reversed so that it works as a brake ie, it allows the power to get to the rear wheels until you press it down, which now acts as the brake, exactly opposite of the stock setting. YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED A BRAKE, my son was already used to using the brake on the Rally Car so he didn't have to learn anything new (I love these, they handle great and turn super sharp).

3. You can still use reverse even with the scooter throttle.

4. I haven't found any way to rig the hand throttle for foot pedal use so it works best on 4-wheelers.

5. I haven't had any problems with burning motors up or stripping gears (yet) most likely due to the way that it builds power slowly.

6. Since a scooter controller works differently, running 24 volts in the yard would probably bog it down, the best way to run your motors is in series so the 24V is split between the two. YOUR BEST BET for getting something with lots of power and not TOO much speed would be run a 36V controller and run the motors in series, that way they are getting 18V each and you still retain the throttle with soft start.

Good Luck! I would love to hear about someone elses experience with this!

Edited by - K-man on 05/26/2006 07:59:52
Go to Top of Page

jasncab
Forum Admin

Phoenix
AZ
USA

1119 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  09:58:53  Show Profile  Visit jasncab's Homepage
Awesome. I only want the throttle for my 4 wheeler, but I know others are looking for a pregressive speed on their jeeps.

I like the idea of the motors in series with 36V going in, but where would you fit the batteries in a 4 wheeler! :)

Awesome information K-man!
Go to Top of Page

simon@work
Apprentice Modder

USA

53 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  15:50:18  Show Profile
You can make a hand throttle into a pedal!

You need to clamp it some how and attach an arm.Theres a lever operated rotary throttle.

A few minutes and I'll post a drawing.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  06:51:17  Show Profile
This is my solution to the variable throttle installation. I haven't installed the contoller yet, and the gas pedal will need a longer screw to get full travel out of the throttle, but the set-up works good and is surprisingly sturdy.

12.1 KB

14.15 KB

15.88 KB
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:50:33  Show Profile
did you go with 24 or 36v? just curious.

Also, don't be alarmed when you connect the battery (the last connection) and you hear a pop, this freaked me out the first couple of times.
Go to Top of Page

simon@work
Apprentice Modder

USA

53 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  18:56:00  Show Profile
Is that a 5K or hall effect? Where from, part #'s

That looks far better Jdad?

Simon
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  21:24:54  Show Profile
A pop? Glad you said something K-man or I would have thought the worst.
I went with the 24v LBD14 controller and bought the charging port and charger to do onboard charging. I'm running 18ah batteries and really don't have room for 3 of them for 36v, plus the extra weight...

Simon, the thumb throttle is Hall effect and is from TNC Scooters in TN. They have an Ebay store also and were good to do business with.
Here's a link to the throttle:http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101101

See my project page:http://www.ryanhull.com/forums2/weblog.php?w=9
Go to Top of Page

catz

18 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  21:52:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jamesonsdad

A pop? Glad you said something K-man or I would have thought the worst.
I went with the 24v LBD14 controller and bought the charging port and charger to do onboard charging. I'm running 18ah batteries and really don't have room for 3 of them for 36v, plus the extra weight...

Simon, the thumb throttle is Hall effect and is from TNC Scooters in TN. They have an Ebay store also and were good to do business with.
Here's a link to the throttle:http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101101

Awesome! I was wondering how I was going to do that simply on mine, great idea, I am going that route. I was trying to figure out how to limit it to not use the full 36V, and that will work great
Go to Top of Page

hendu

USA

20 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  06:24:27  Show Profile
quote:

This is my solution to the variable throttle installation. I haven't installed the contoller yet, and the gas pedal will need a longer screw to get full travel out of the throttle, but the set-up works good and is surprisingly sturdy.

12.1 KB

14.15 KB

15.88 KB

Great fix, I'm stealing that one.
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  21:09:17  Show Profile
We finished the “rough” install of the variable speed scooter controller today. Happy to report that it was a big toothy grin “dad, you’re the best” hit with my 11 year old test driver. When she and Jameson went together you would have thought they were on a ride at Six Flags.
Here are a few notes and observations. I’ll update the Blog with pictures later this week.

1. Wiring the controller was relatively simple. The ‘shifter’ is gone and in its place is the push button directional switch from a 6volt Enforcer Jr. (Now 12volt, but more on that later.)

2. The two 12v 18ah batteries weigh a lot more than all the plastic I had to remove to make them fit under the hood, metal gussets pop riveted to the front end helped to stiffen things up.

3. The little box under the gas pedal had to be cut two places to accommodate the variable gas pedal mod.

4. Brakes are definitely needed. The only way my daughter could stop the Jeep was to select reverse (with her foot off of the gas.) This allowed for Starsky and Hutch style sideways slides and more big smiles.

5. That clicking noise isn’t from seatbelts. Come to find out it had started clicking last week when the BIG kids were riding it and I was away at work. When I took the gearboxes apart tonight to assess the damage there really wasn’t any. No missing teeth, nothing. One thing I did notice is the 1.25” screws holding the motors had bottomed out before getting tight. Perhaps the motors were flexing enough to let the pinions slip. I cut a bit off the screws and made sure they got tight this time. Hopefully that is all it was.

6. There is getting to be a lot of play/flex where the left gearbox fits into the body. The next structural mod will probably be to beef up the rear-end.

7. Heat in the controller was a big concern for me. Turns out that it is a non-issue. The motors still got warm so the cooling fans will be back on once they are rewired to a dedicated 12v “accessory” battery.

8. Speed control was excellent. It will take off nice and slow, or spin the tires, or anything in between. I’m very pleased with the results. My young drivers will have to adapt since they are now used to only 2 speeds: ON or OFF. They will also have to learn to use a brake pedal!

The wife mentioned the tile project that sits unfinished while I worked on this mod today. I’d like to finish the floor, but this Power Wheels stuff is just so darn fun!

Go to Top of Page

tfietz

USA

13 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  08:54:39  Show Profile  Click to see tfietz's MSN Messenger address
Can you tell us how/what you did to create a brake? How it was wired...etc. You have 2-12volt batteries running and 24v engines? What is the top speed you have achieved?...estimated

What was the cost for the variable speed throttle?
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  09:16:52  Show Profile
Well I let the kids "test drive" the Jeep again today and after about 20 minutes of continous full throttle running it slowed to a crawl. The smoke wisping out from under the seat told the story: one set of HTI 700 series motors burned to a crisp

Should have rewired the cooling fans before I let them ride it, but I'm not sure even that would have saved the motors.

Once I get some replacements I'll back the gas pedal down a bit to limit current. The Jeep will be good for on the road use only, with limited hills.

The only other solution I can think of is to limit weight. The problem is that right now Jameson only wants to ride with his big sister driving. Their combined weight of about 90lbs along with the added weight of the batteries is a bit much for the motors. Smaller batteries would lessen the load and the reduced run time may prevent the motors from ever reaching the melt down point, but that would limit the fun too.
Happy to report though that the gear clicking from yesterday went away after regreasing the boxes and tightening the motors
I've updated my Blog with some details of the mod up till now.
The plans for the brake pedal are on the main page of this site, I haven't done it yet though.
The scooter parts cost $67 delivered and included: 1 controller, 2 variable throttles, 1 twist and 1 thumb, a battery charger (24v), a keyed ignition switch, 1 charging receptacle, and 1 rubber charging port cover. All you need is the controller and throttle.

Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  10:45:55  Show Profile
Awesome.

Thats some big honkin batteries, and 90lbs of kids is quite a bit. My only experience was on pavement with one child and I didn't have any problems, but it looks like your R&D is going to prove useful to everyone wanting this mod. If you think you could make it work, you might want to try the PW minibike motor on this thing. It is a large scooter motor with (quiet) beltdrive (automatic belt tension) that runs to the rear wheel. You would have to make a solid axle on the rear, then somehow attach the wheel without the tire to the axle to drive it. Since you look pretty handy, I bet you could make it work. I would be willing to donate the motor assembly for the cause. Another cool thing about this is that it has a great brake already attached, I don't know how easy that would be to hook up though.

Incidently, a pair of small 7ah batteries would last a good hour or so of constant use on a converted scooter, so I bet a pair of 12ah batteries would last a long time on the jeep. I bought 2 36V (huge) batteries from someone off of ebay that I was using on projects, they only cost me 15 bucks each including shipping. I don't know where the guy was getting them but they came off of the minimoto motorcycles.
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  06:53:13  Show Profile
K-man, thanks for the input. I have a pair of 12ah batteries but since I was adding 24v in the vehicle charging capability I went with the 18ah to ensure a long run time. Perhaps it was overkill, but I still have memories of the stock 9.7ah batteries dieing after a short run in this Jeep with a completely stock set up.

The PW scooter motor option sounds interesting. I was toying with the idea of making the rear axle “live” when making some upcoming structural improvements back there. The thought was to add a third or forth gearbox to share the load. My concern with this idea was the slightly different speeds of the motors dragging each other down. One big motor instead of four would take care of that problem.

My other concern was how it would effect the steering. I’m not running any traction mods so tire slip would probably compensate for the differential in a turn. Some kind on mod to the front tires to give them a little more grip may be required though. Maybe the spray on undercoating trick?

All things considered it does sound doable. What do you guys think?

Go to Top of Page

simon@work
Apprentice Modder

USA

53 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  20:05:14  Show Profile
Ok heres a thought, it depends how far you want to go. Instead of say 1 300W scooter motor how about 2 150's. 1 each per wheel?

The Curtis 1505 speed controller can do two motors, but the controller is around $40.

??????

Simon
Go to Top of Page

adam.gutt

2 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  11:00:17  Show Profile
I've been following jamesonsdad's blog over on ryan hull's forum.. does anybody have a wiring diagram for something like this?
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  13:13:05  Show Profile
This can be potentially VERY simple.

Here would be an example of using a Ninja Quad, the kind without a circuit board BUT with a single 12V battery.

You will need a scooter controller, a throttle, 2 12V batteries if you intend to do a 24V, 3 batteries if you want a 36V. I would also suggest (but you don't absolutely have to have) a charging port, a charger, a keyed switch. The controller will have all kinds of hookups for stuff you may also want like brakelights and a horn etc.

Your controller will come with instructions for what wires go where. Hook up the charging port, the keyed switch and the throttle.

NOW, you need to re-wire your gas pedal to act as a brake, I can't remember which wires to switch, you will need to put your stock battery in and see which ones to switch, this is simple but it has been a year since my last conversion so I can't remember. What you will accomplish doing this is for the vehicle to have power to the motors ALL THE TIME UNTIL you hit the pedal, then it breaks the circuit and shorts the motors together to get the braking action. This is crucial if you want a brake on the vehicle. Remember, when you hit the new brake pedal, it cuts all power to the motors and shorts the motors out to create the braking action.

Now that you have the old gas pedal/new brake pedal fixed, and tested with the stock battery (vehicle wants to GO until pedal is pushed), hook up the MOTOR output FROM the scooter controller to your stock wiring harness. Lastly hook up the batteries, you will hear a pop usually, and test it out.

THE BIGGEST ADVANTAGE to using the stock wiring harness (with brake conversion) is your ability to have a brake, a REVERSE, AND high and low speeds! BE CAREFUL, high speed will now be 24V, low speed will now be the old high speed of 12V.

Good luck, and if anybody sees any errors please feel free to tell me, it has been awhile.

K-man
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  16:23:45  Show Profile
K-man, that sounds like a good plan for the wiring. I decided to completely rewire my Jeep and use a DPDT pushbutton switch from a 6v Enforcer Jr to control FWD and REV. Partly because it never dawned on me to reuse the original harness.

I totaly modded the old gas pedal to push on a thumb type throttle under it. Now I'm adding a separate brake pedal and switch. The wiring will go to the controller brake input to cut output to the motors (and at the same time supply power to brake lights to be added later) and at the same time short the motors together through the stock ceramic resistor.

Once I get everything figured out, and tested, I'll draw up a schematic and post it.

13.77 KB

I tore down the gearboxes yesterday and found the first two gears after the pinion had worn to the point they were sloppy on the shafts. I think they bound up and caused the motor to overheat/melt.
I'll need a couple of 19t #7 boxes to get up and running in this config again.

Go to Top of Page

ancb

USA

27 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  20:16:54  Show Profile
quote:

I tore down the gearboxes yesterday and found the first two gears after the pinion had worn to the point they were sloppy on the shafts. I think they bound up and caused the motor to overheat/melt.

Yes, this reaffirms that K-mans idea above about a scooter motor and live axle (ala bulletproof, go-cart style) would be sooo much more reliable. I'm so sick of these cheesy gearboxes, bent sub-quality axles (this one I'm dealing with right now and my kid only weighs 33 pounds), and motor issues.

There's a brushless 300 watt, 24 volt scooter motor with the controller already built into it, on ebay right now, a few of them, starting at .99 Although I think they end up selling for about $20.00 plus $10 ship. I don't know how many they have and ****I'm in no way affiliated with them, the company, the motor, etc., etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brushless-Electric-Bike-Bicycle-Motor-24-Volt-DC-VDC_W0QQitemZ250000503489QQihZ015QQcategoryZ75210QQcmdZViewItem

I have purchased from Electricscooterparts.com though (they appear to be the same) and they are great. I got 10 feet of 10 gauge wire for $4.95, and it's the best that I've seen but then again I haven't seen that much, very workable, thick insulation. And great customer service.

I'd like to do that - One motor, probably #25 chain, a couple of sprockets and a live axle (nice and thick). Controllers already built into the motor, so just need a Magura 5k Ohm twist throttle, which are a bit more $ than the cheesy hall-effect throttles that I've seen, but much more precise. I'm thinking of a ninja quad, here, but there are obviously 5k ohm thumb throttles for the gas pedal mod made famous by JamesonsDad.

What do you guys think this will do to the steering?
Anybody else thinking this is a good way to go?
Go to Top of Page

ancb

USA

27 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  20:26:59  Show Profile
Hey,
For those who are into this variable speed and want a gas pedal instead of the hand or thumb throttles that are out there, I came across this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7620058317&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT#ebayphotohosting

I guess it's from a golf cart?
Anyway, I love Jamesonsdad's thumb throttle/gas pedal mod, but maybe this would leave your old gas pedal free to be a brake.

I don't know if it would work for sure and all that, I'm just tossing out some ideas.
That's what I love about this board, all the ideas.
Go to Top of Page

peskimeski

USA

32 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  00:40:31  Show Profile
That price is not bad. I looked at these new, big money!!! I just went with the twist throttle cause it fits well with the ATV. If I was building a jeep or car, I would def go with the pedal.
Go to Top of Page

Giranger
Apprentice Modder

USA

88 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  14:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Giranger's Homepage
Been doing a lot of research on adding a scooter motor. Two issues with the scooter motor is the need for room for the sprocket on the axle end and short enough belt or chain. On the regular jeeps the axle sits right above the bottom of the jeep. So adding a sprocket (depending on the diameter of it) will make it stick out under the jeep. On my new project "Aftershock" it is built on a "lift" so I have some room for a small sprocket. Unless you add the sprocket right up against the tire then you would have the chain/belt on the outside of the body. The only sprocket that might work for our application would be to use the same sprocket on the motor on the axle, just drill out the center to slide on the axle. Then it would be 1:1 gear ratio. I found a website that sells different size sprockets but are a tad expensive. http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_mechanical.html
If you go with a #25 chain then you would need a 3/8" bore (drill it out to 7/16") for around $13 plus chain which they only sell in 10' increments. If you go with a belt then .200 pitch 18 groove because it the smallest one you can drill up to 1/2" bore, outside diameter is 1.126" and costs $18. The scootor motor sprockets are .200 pitch also. Anyone have any thought/input into this? I would like to get my stuff ordered as my son is killing me to get his jeep done. Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Jamesonsdad
Journeyman Modder

Fayetteville
Georgia
USA

342 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  20:55:08  Show Profile
Those parts are a little rich for my taste, especially having to buy online without seeing what you are getting first.
I'm ignorant on how a scooter drive is set up and am curious as to why you said we would need a 1:1 drive ratio. As far as the sproket sticking out the bottom of the Jeep I personally don't have a problem with that as long as it didn't drag on obstacles.
I was toying with the idea of bicycle sprokets and chains at one time but never got past the brake and reverse problems, although I'm sure there is a solution.
Bike parts are plentiful, durable and cheap which made that idea attractive to me.

Go to Top of Page

adam.gutt

2 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  04:14:00  Show Profile
What about a simple disc brake from a pocket rocket or something similar? I've seen them on ebay for about $10, however thats just the sprocket without the brake cable and caliper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-BRAKE-DISC-For-Mini-Pocket-Bike_W0QQitemZ7250294142QQihZ015QQcategoryZ11332QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Might be a little much, a rubber gromet attached to the axle and a steel band would probably be plenty.
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  05:51:14  Show Profile
you would need to offset the sprocket near the right wheel, or simply have the sprocket attached to the right wheel for maximum ground clearance. The motor is pretty close to the axle so I think there is plenty of room.

As far as using bike parts, it would be easy to weld up a simple steel frame and use a 16" suspension bicycles rear end to get rear suspension on a four wheeler. I have a spare bike I bought but lost interest. In fact I have LOTS of stuff just sitting around waiting for time to experiment with (not going to happen).
Go to Top of Page

Giranger
Apprentice Modder

USA

88 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  05:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Giranger's Homepage
The reason for me stating 1:1 ratio is unless you want a big sprocket hanging down and dragging or hitting something while driving you would need something farely small, hence 1:1 gear ratio. Unless we find something else to use like one of the sprockets I mentioned where the one was only around 1.25" diameter (which would be probably about right). That one is the belt sprocket which they also sell in different lenghts for around $10 on average. The guy I talked to at TNCscooters said the belt is definatly quiter than the chain. He also told me the 24V Controller (Model CT-302S9) is the best one to buy as it has the fewest problems from the rest. They also have MY1016 250 Watt / 24 Volt Belt Drive Motor for $18. So I figure Motor from TNC, short belt and sprocket from Robot Marketplace for around $41 plus shipping. Might be a tad high but if you want to go the scooter motor route thats probably your best bet unless someone else can come up with another alternative. Jeff

5 Jeeps and 2 Quads
My 96 XJ Cherokee Lifted 6" running 33's LOL
1 Aftershock Wrangler(currently being modded)
2 Barbie Cruizin' Tunes Wranglers
1 Girls Wrangler
1 Old Ninja
1 New Ninja
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Journeyman Modder

Paducah
KY
USA

484 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  07:41:39  Show Profile
Here is a picture of the Powerwheels minibike belt drive. It has a spring loaded belt tensioner allowing for some axle wobble, and the mounting would be less critical for belt tension. The wheel is bolted together so you can remove the right half that has the sprocket on it, or take the tire off and use the existing hand brake that is on it. The sprocket diameter is 6". The best scenerio I guess would be to mount it directly on the right wheel so there wouldn't be any ground clearance issues, then you would have to come up with some way to make the axle turn both wheels. I have been using one of these motors on a 36V scooter so I know it can handle the extra volts. Picture shows stock power wheels motor, 2 Razor scooter motors in comparison.

As far as the 1:1 gearing, that would be way to high for the torque of the motor to overcome, and top speed would be near 50mph or something!

Insert Image:
Go to Top of Page

Giranger
Apprentice Modder

USA

88 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  14:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Giranger's Homepage
50MPH, sweet LOL Thanks for the pics. Dont know what to go with yet. Ordered the batteries from Gruber now just trying to figure out for the powertrain.

5 Jeeps and 2 Quads
My 96 XJ Cherokee Lifted 6" running 33's LOL
1 Aftershock Wrangler(currently being modded)
2 Barbie Cruizin' Tunes Wranglers
1 Girls Wrangler
1 Old Ninja
1 New Ninja
Go to Top of Page

dons96vette

Shelbyville
IN
USA

3 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  10:26:39  Show Profile
Not that the scooter thumb throttle is a bad solution, but this one may be a little easier to package. It looks from the picture like it has spring return already built in. Should be able to package it in the existing box under the current foot pedal. Then add a second pedal with the current on/off switch with the on and off leads reversed and you have a brake too. Check out the link. This place has a lot of parts that could come in handy for tinkering.

http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/product_p/th-bnl-103.htm
Go to Top of Page

BonnerBB
Senior Modder

Houston
Texas
USA

2225 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  13:04:10  Show Profile  Visit BonnerBB's Homepage  Send BonnerBB a Yahoo! Message
quote:

12.1 KB

14.15 KB

15.88 KB

You did this setup 2 years ago - did it hold up?

Did you ever get the longer screw to go full throttle?

Thanks,
Bonner

NOTICE: I am not on MPW as much as I used to be!! PM me if you have questions about any of my threads!!!
I especially would love a PM from you if you did a project of your own similar to one of mine!!!

PWMOT Hijack Prevention Thread
Introduction and Collection
Video's of Projects
Modding Projects Pages
Cool Tools and Resources
What is PWMOT.org
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  13:18:09  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
Jamesonsdad hasn't been on the forums for a long time, I doubt you'll get an answer from him.

The thumb throttles are constructed just like the twist throttles. You can modify the twist to just about anything you want. You could easily add a tab to push on with the screw, or even a tab to connect a linkage from the pedal. Or even a pull string like I did on my Bigfoot project. I also cut the twist grip off shorter to pass a pipe through just like the pic above.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

Drfrd1

1 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  14:28:01  Show Profile
Do have any rally cars left to sell if you do can you call me at 502-639-8644
Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  21:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
I have an MX3 I want to chop it or turn it into a chopper. What do you suggest for wheels mine are the defective ones for sure. one touch from the side of tires and all air is gone, thought about pumping them full of that expandable foam that turns into a kind of starfone. Any way...any ideas what to do? Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by K-man

Here is a picture of the Powerwheels minibike belt drive. It has a spring loaded belt tensioner allowing for some axle wobble, and the mounting would be less critical for belt tension. The wheel is bolted together so you can remove the right half that has the sprocket on it, or take the tire off and use the existing hand brake that is on it. The sprocket diameter is 6". The best scenerio I guess would be to mount it directly on the right wheel so there wouldn't be any ground clearance issues, then you would have to come up with some way to make the axle turn both wheels. I have been using one of these motors on a 36V scooter so I know it can handle the extra volts. Picture shows stock power wheels motor, 2 Razor scooter motors in comparison.

As far as the 1:1 gearing, that would be way to high for the torque of the motor to overcome, and top speed would be near 50mph or something!

Insert Image:

*arctic Shark snowmobile (beng modified again, scooter) but works!
*indianaJones Harley *desert bike *desert Challenger street bike *saftey 1st Chopper *SF viper*Herbie fully loaded via remote 12v....18v if lucky *gravedigger *mx350 *john deer tractor( still his favorite) *blue flame bigfoot *A151 * qty 2 twin 700* mx3 trike n 2 powerrider nascars (DALE SR n used to be #24 now General Lee) SOLD> 12v herbie
AMY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: