These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Motors/Gearing/Drivetrain
 The worst gearboxes ever!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  08:13:35  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Earlier this summer Kastoo found a Harley sitting in a creek for who knows how long. He was kind enough to send me the gearboxes from it to see if they had any hope. This is what arrived.

After a good bit of scraping, I was able to get to the screws. The first gearbox actually came apart without too much difficulty.

The second one proved to be more of a challenge. I was able to get the motor and one of the screws out, but the three other screws must have been submerged a long time because there wasn't much left of the screw heads other than a rounded nub. I ended up drilling them out, so the housing wasn't going to be salvageable.

So after 2 soaks in a bucket of warm water and Dawn soap, 2 toothbrush scrubs and 1 spray down with the garden hose, this is what I got.

All of the gears appear to be in good shape, so it looks like I'll get one good gearbox and one set of good gears out of that mess. The motors were oviously trashed, but I have a few sets of motors with 21T gears on them, or I can keep it as a spare incase one of the 21T gearboxes I have goes south.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)

ecoclean
Senior Modder

coopersburg
pa
USA

1184 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  09:15:14  Show Profile  Visit ecoclean's Homepage
man they were really caked with mud. Did the grease get all think and hard from the water submersion? But they really did clean up.

3-Gaucho's 18v
Gaucho-Silver 18v (wip)
Driveway Racer X5
6x4x4 Gator - WIP
Yamaha Raptor 660r 18v
Eliminator 19t, 12v wip
Lifted Beach Rescue Jeep
X Machine - 21t 18v wip
JD Power Pull
Dial Corvette
Super BigFoot x 2
Barbie Vette

www.environmentallycleanoption.com
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  09:33:34  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ecoclean

man they were really caked with mud. Did the grease get all think and hard from the water submersion? But they really did clean up.

Yes, most of it was pretty thick and solid. Some of it still resembled grease though.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  14:33:14  Show Profile
wow thats bad.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  07:16:08  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I greased everything up real nice and tested it out with a motor, and it's purring now. No extra noise at all, so now I have a mate to go with the single extra 21T I had in storage. I'm going to put them both in the 18V McQueen and see how they go.

Go to Top of Page

wintersun
Journeyman Modder

Yulee
FL

447 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  10:31:06  Show Profile  Visit wintersun's Homepage
nice! I cracked open that $5 gator that I got this weekend, and under every crevice it looks like that. I'm frightened to look inside the gearboxes.

---------well behaved women rarely make history---------
Go to Top of Page

jfoust
Senior Modder

Atlanta
GA
USA

2419 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  10:39:14  Show Profile  Visit jfoust's Homepage
Amazing how they cleaned up! I thought you were going to say there was no help for them and they had to be trashed. Excellent work on the resurrection!

Current Fleet:
Super6 Vette, Grave Digger w/ 19T's, Gaucho Grande, Dora Lil Quad, Eliminator w/ 21T's, 12v Harley, Safety 1st C5R

Scrap Pile (email for parts):
High Torque Gaucho, Red PW Jeep
Go to Top of Page

Skelly
Journeyman Modder

Spring Grove
PA
USA

144 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  16:27:43  Show Profile
Just think what they would look like if they were metal. The whole gearbox would have been junk. I think PW thought hay we better make the gears plastic incase one of these end up in a creek.
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  19:08:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Skelly

Just think what they would look like if they were metal. The whole gearbox would have been junk. I think PW thought hay we better make the gears plastic incase one of these end up in a creek.

i somewhat agree, but i think they were thinking "hey lets make these with metal gears and they will last for ever... uhh, wait a minute, that means that they wont buy any more... hey i got an idea, why not make them out of plastic so they break and then they will have to come to us to buy parts and then they will break again and they will have to come to us to buy parts... (viscious never ending cycle, corprate seems to like that idea) oh, and its cheaper with plastic gears... yeaaaaaaa. "

i bet thats what they were thinking.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

VegasQuid
Journeyman Modder

Vegas
NV
USA

214 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  04:21:07  Show Profile  Visit VegasQuid's Homepage  Click to see VegasQuid's MSN Messenger address  Send VegasQuid a Yahoo! Message
WOW
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: