These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Read This First (FAQ's)
 FAQ - Battery Desulfator
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

v8280z
Apprentice Modder

Mesa
AZ
USA

91 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  20:40:20  Show Profile
I recently read about a little device called a desulfator that breaks up the sulfur crystals that accumulate inside a lead acid battery allowing batteries that will not recharge to be usable again. I looked on eBay and found there were a few for sale. I figured if this worked as well as described, there would be hundreds of these for sale as everyone would want one. Has anyone used these with positive results?

18v Lamborghini (MP3, Lights, gauges, water cannon)
12v F-150 (super 6 motors, lights, remote kill switch)
12v Jeep (super 6 motors, lights)
12v Lil Quad

Edited by - gseric69 on 09/09/2009 09:52:23

Fortis
Senior Modder

melbourne
victoria
Australia

1154 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  22:31:37  Show Profile
It has been discussed here frequently. I will not say you should use the search function, but it is an option.

:)

The short of it is that in my experience the desulphaters are proportionaly effective to the amp hours of the battery. So if you have a battery bank that is 200amp hours, you will get good benefit from the desulphater giving some new life to the batteries, if you have a 12amp hour battery (such as most of these vehicles do) then you will get very little worthwhile benfit form it. This is in addition to the fact that desulphaters fix ONE and only one problem that can develop with batteries. It will not solve physical damage to plates and plastic devider/matrix or terminals, it will not cure calcification (sulphation's opposite side of the coin) nor will it fix a battery that has been so overcharged that it has vented and thus has lessened liquid content.

Realistically, good battery practices and a decent smart charger will see a hard-used batt last around 2-3 years, for most of us this means that the child may well outgrow the vehicle by that time and be on to 50cc quads and go carts. At worst it means you get to spend that $30-40 TWICE in your child's growth through these toys...As opposed to $120 or thereabouts for where the decent desulphators start (Do not be fooled into buying one of the card-driven ones designed for rehabing solid-state batteries. it will do nothing at all when hooked to a lead/acid batt).

Alex.

Colbert: So the AK-47 is like the Windows platform of guns, it's everywhere.

Pike: No, no. It's MUCH more reliable than that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: