These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Project Harley's
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  21:38:39  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The next project is going to be a two for one deal. I'm going to try to get these two done together since I'll be sharing some parts between them.
First one is the red Harley. Stock 12V powered by two 6V batteries with a high/low switch. Plans are restoration and adding Duratrax motors with heatsinks and 19T #7s. This one will either become black or blue and will be given to my nephew when it's complete.

Second one is the pink Harley. 12V stock with grey battery and Turbo button for high speed. This will become a trike using either the original wheels from the Apache, or a set of Peg Thundercat wheels I have. The drive wheels from this one were toast. I'm not sure on the color, right now it's so faded, it looks almost white on the outside.

It may be a little while before I get started. I've been meaning to troubleshoot a wiring problem in my Buick GS that is preventing the battery from charging (it's not the alternator), and I also have to plan and get ready for Olivia's birthday party in two weeks.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)

Edited by - gseric69 on 09/05/2009 21:48:52

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  11:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
I have the exact red one I bought from a storage unit for 10$ cant get it to work....motors are fine, switched out pedal switch....not sure about other 4 switches relay or resistor on orange wire going to pedal. can I run two 12v on this? do i need both 6v batteries to be hooked up at same time to get it to work? I like the boost button better.

*arctic Shark snowmobile (beng modified again, scooter) but works!
*indianaJones Harley *desert bike *desert Challenger street bike *saftey 1st Chopper *SF viper*Herbie fully loaded via remote 12v....18v if lucky *gravedigger *mx350 *john deer tractor( still his favorite) *blue flame bigfoot *A151 * qty 2 twin 700* mx3 trike n 2 powerrider nascars (DALE SR n used to be #24 now General Lee) SOLD> 12v herbie
AMY
Go to Top of Page

rollndice83
Expert Modder

Lansdale
PA
USA

850 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  11:55:07  Show Profile
Gseric- Can't wait to see what wheels you put on the Pink one. I put a set of 16T's in the Harley when i took the 21T's. With the 16T's on 12V the poor thing is like a snail. I ran put a 12V in with the 6V and that helps a lot. Let me know how the 19T's work in it.

Modmom- You do not need both Red 6V to test it. You can put just one Red 6V battery in it but...It will only work in low speed so make sure you dont have it on high. You have to hook up both to get 12V High Speed. If you want 18Vs you can do a 12V and a 6V battery on the stock harness setup. If you put 2 12V batteries in you will be at 24V!.

When 18V is to slow...Time to go to 50cc quads
88 Super 6Volt Corvette Project
90 Suzuki Quad Super6 on 12V
12V F-150
12V Suzuki 3-Wheeler(2WD Super6)Current Project
Lifted Fire Rescue Jeep(Upgrading to 21T 18V)
WildThing Super6 Volt
12V Harley(WIP)
Original 6V PW Hot Rod

Edited by - rollndice83 on 09/09/2009 11:57:09
Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  11:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
ok....so if I understand you correctly, I do not have a plug for batteries...some one else cut it off. I have an orange blue red and black wire. These go to battery..or batteries. if I hook up 1 6v battery to two wires, it will not run? Everything is sun faded, I do not know what anything is on this thing. So did this have 1 or 2 batteries? 2 6v, right? Oh and another thing....There seems to be a large white thing looks like a RESISTOR..NOT SURE, is that to the reverse side or something, its next to pedal just inside the body.

*indianaJones Harley *desert bike *desert Challenger street bike *saftey 1st Chopper *SF viper*Herbie fully loaded via remote 12v....18v if lucky *gravedigger *mx350 *john deer tractor( still his favorite) *blue flame bigfoot *A151 * qty 2 twin 700* mx3 trike n 2 powerrider nascars (DALE SR n used to be #24 now General Lee) SOLD> 12v herbie
AMY
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  11:28:39  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Modmom, the orange and blue wires go to one battery, and the red and black go to the other batter. If you hook up a single 6V to one set of wires, it should work in low speed or reverse. It will not work in high with only one battery. If nothing is working then there is a problem somewhere, most likely one or more of the switches.
The resistor is used for braking. It softens the effect of the auto brake to make it a little less abrupt.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
Go to Top of Page

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  17:11:11  Show Profile
Modmom read this
http://modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=937
I have the exact same red harley that I converted to a trike its now a 12V speed demon that only uses one set of wires. This thing is really fast and 1 12V 12A fits in there nicely.

The only bad thing is that my boys get confused since it has 4 buttons and only 2 really work. If they push one button then it makes the trike now work at all. This gives you forward HIGH and reverse High. Good Luck.

"Time to take a ride on the information superhighway."
Go to Top of Page

Skelly
Journeyman Modder

Spring Grove
PA
USA

144 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  18:46:45  Show Profile
Gseric69 do you need new drive wheels? I have some that I would be willing to trade or sell. just let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  21:39:39  Show Profile
I have *somewhere* a non-definitive wiring diagram that uses a standard DPDT switch but switches the motors between parallel (fast) for forward and series (slow) in reverse.
No low speed forwards, but would we really miss it?

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  04:49:07  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Divinar

I have *somewhere* a non-definitive wiring diagram that uses a standard DPDT switch but switches the motors between parallel (fast) for forward and series (slow) in reverse.

This one?

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  11:15:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gseric69

quote:

This one?

Nope - from HERE.

42.7 KB

Notice that the brake wire is left off - but since I know where that is, I'll do a more complete, color-coded version for my own use, and post it here "soon"

Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)

Edited by - Divinar on 09/14/2009 11:24:54
Go to Top of Page

RICKYVB
Senior Modder

TAMPA
FLORIDA
USA

1265 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  09:57:17  Show Profile
gseric69,Look forward to the builds!!!

I sold my Pink Harley 4 days ago. That thing was pretty sweet. I think she wants me to give it a GUN METAL paint job in a week or two.

The boost button is pretty cool!!!
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  12:11:25  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Man, you guys weren't kidding about how many parts these Harley's have, sheesh! I just finished stripping the red one down and will start on the pink one shortly, but I needed a break from it.

My nephew is now all about the Batman, so I'm going to make his Harley a Bat Bike. I'm hoping it turns out as good as I'm picturing it in my head. He's going to be Batman for Halloween, so I'm going to try and get his finished in time.

Here he is as his alter ego. He's got a little Hulk action going on with his feet here, so I'm hoping my sister springs for some bigger boots

Edited by - gseric69 on 09/21/2009 12:13:05
Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  14:25:25  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
My husband suggested for me and him to decorate My sons as an INDIANA JONES STYLE CYCLE...WE have to age it like an old motorcycle with a side car from world war II. Good luck with Bat cycle

AMY
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  12:06:58  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Slight change in plans for the Bat Bike. Since coming into a hoard of 21T gearboxes recently, I picked up a set of 21T pinion gears to put the Duratrax motors in with 21T gears. Should make it a little faster now. Hopefully they'll hold up to his abuse.

Aside from painting the faded saddle bags, I'm not going to paint anything else. After seeing how roughed up the Blue Thunder got, it's just not worth it to paint any for him. He'll like it the same regardless.

It's coming together now, just waiting on the Batman stickers to arrive. Hopefully they'll be here in time.

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  12:13:06  Show Profile
quote:

Nope - from HERE.

Notice that the brake wire is left off - but since I know where that is, I'll do a more complete, color-coded version for my own use, and post it here "soon"

That wiring doesn't work.
It's just a high/low speed switch.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  11:10:07  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Since there really isn't too much to this Bat Bike build, I figured I'd post some results here.
I tried PowerWheels_Rob's Gearbox Cleaning Suggestion and dissasembled a set of 21T gearboxes that were pretty dirty and soaked them in a bucket of hot water and Dawn soap for 48 hours. I stirred and agitated everything every now and then as well.
When I pulled them out this morning, all of the dirt and grime that covered the outside of the gearboxes when I put them in was gone. Most of the grease on the inside of the gearbox housings and gears was still on them though, so I did a good bit of cleaning parts after I took them out. So I'm thinking either I didn't have enough soap in the bucket, or I didn't let them soak long enough. Either way, they are nice and clean now and ready for re-assembly.

I have another set of 21T's that are absolutely filthy inside and out, so I'm going to try the cleaning method on them next. Planning to use a lot more soap this time.

And for the ever popular progress shot, here are the wheels with new sitckers! I'm so proud of me

Edited by - gseric69 on 11/09/2009 07:55:59
Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  11:24:01  Show Profile
I use Dawn also. I soak them for about 30 min. Then I hit them with an old toothbrush while submerged in the soapy water(warm water).Don't get carried away with the scrubbing because after that I spray them with the garden hose and whatever is left slides right off.

Drive it like you stole it!........out of somebody's garbage!
Go to Top of Page

turbokev
Senior Modder

Fremont
New Hampshire
USA

1283 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  12:31:28  Show Profile  Visit turbokev's Homepage

Ooooohhhh... shiny

Thanks,
Kev

18V Mustang v2.0 : 18V Mustang v1.0 : 12V Mustangs : 18V Gaucho Police
18V NASCAR : 12V Extreme Machines : 12V Hurricane Resto : 18V Mustang with Blower

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  12:33:38  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Taz11

I use Dawn also. I soak them for about 30 min. Then I hit them with an old toothbrush while submerged in the soapy water(warm water).Don't get carried away with the scrubbing because after that I spray them with the garden hose and whatever is left slides right off.

I'll try the garden hose next time. I actually did think about doing it this morning, but it was pretty brisk and windy out, and I didn't want cold greasy water spraying all over me. I'll take a before shot of these gearboxes to give an idea of how filthy they are.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  14:48:44  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
The Bat Bike is pretty much done. Not much to this one, pretty much stock except for the Duratrax motors and Traxxas heat sinks. The first set of stickers arrived yesterday, so I'm hoping the second set with the smaller ones will be here within the week. Putting this one back together actually wasn't too bad. I suppose after stripping 3 of them down it just sunk in where everything needed to go for re-assembly.

The pieces for the trike are already broken down, so next step is to clean, cut and paint. Going to see if I can rehab some nasty gearboxes too.

Edited by - gseric69 on 10/04/2009 10:01:23
Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  00:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
Your batman harley Rocks!!!! What does your kid think? I am sure he wants to ride soooo Did you let him...tell the truth....lol

I finally started Indiana Bike tonight..Not bad if I don't mind saying so, but alot of work to do.
got switches and wiring done then removed most old stickers night before.

By the way you wheels look like the squeal.... Nicely Done.

AMY

Edited by - Modmom32 on 10/04/2009 00:23:37
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  10:02:42  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Thanks Modmom. Actually my nephew hasn't seen it yet. I've got a few more stickers on the way that I wanted to put on it before I take it down and surprise him with it. I'm really looking forward to it.

Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  22:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
great bike I have come back to look at it a few times...you need a side car robin....Have fun

AMY
Go to Top of Page

MPDano
Apprentice Modder

Sunny San Diego
CA
USA

54 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  14:12:17  Show Profile  Visit MPDano's Homepage
Nice! Great job on the BatBike!

Powerwheels Harley Davidson Motorcycle Old Skool Blue
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  14:21:19  Show Profile
Simple, clean, and EFFECTIVE!
Now, to put some superfluxes in the headlights....

Go to Top of Page

G I Joe
Expert Modder

Windsor
Ontario
Canada

616 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  15:08:44  Show Profile
quote:

Simple, clean, and EFFECTIVE!
Now, to put some superfluxes in the headlights....

going with this, has anyone added lights to their Haley?? I've looked and the only one I could find was a lil Harley
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  15:44:12  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I thought about lights, but the one concern I already had was battery placement. I thought about maybe running some lights off some AA batteries due to the limited room in the Harleys.

I haven't made much progress on the trike yet, been pretty busy with other things, but I'm hoping to get started soon.

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  16:39:45  Show Profile
Surely somewhere there's a flashlight with a lens about the right size...
A single 12v "n" battery and a superflux...

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  17:23:44  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Maybe I'll take a headlight with me next time I go to the hardware store and see what looks good

Go to Top of Page

Modmom32
Expert Modder

Cookeville
Tennessee
USA

830 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  23:22:11  Show Profile  Visit Modmom32's Homepage
thought I could maybe help with that last comment about battery space.... I may get frustrated but I know your a pro and have probably worked with several harley by now...under gas tank...under soundbox inside frame...plenty of space for a light 6v sealed lead acid battery...just leave wires out side of frame to connect charge while not moving it and reconnect to lights. Or other option is run wire between frame and cosmetic body to lights from satchel holding batteries.

AMY
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  11:46:35  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
So I came across a Craigslist add from a guy selling brand new harley parts, nearly enough for a complete bike. He said he had bought one that was missing some parts, so he bought another for the parts he was missing. I don't really understand the logic in it, but I was able to pick up all his spare unused parts, which pretty much was everything except the main lower frame halves, and one of the non drive wheels. I've never seen brand new looking drive wheels before, but they are nice .
I also got two brand new, unused 21T gearboxes and motors, wiring harness and switches with it. All of only $50, which isn't bad if you ask me. With this I can make a really good looking nearly brand new Harley.

93.3 KB

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  12:02:41  Show Profile
Did you get another bin full of screws? If you didn't, I'd say your missing 1/2 the bike! (He he he...couldn't help myself)

Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  12:07:53  Show Profile
quote:

Did you get another bin full of screws? If you didn't, I'd say your missing 1/2 the bike! (He he he...couldn't help myself)

I was thinking the same thing

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  12:10:34  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Close, I got two saddle bags full of screws.
He loaded each of them up with all the screws (or close to all of them...too many to count)

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  12:12:38  Show Profile
Cool...Then I'd say you got a good deal

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  12:15:32  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:

I really need to find the charger to my electric screwdriver...

Go to Top of Page

the gambler
Senior Modder

Jacksonville
Florida
USA

1437 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  12:19:08  Show Profile
theyre just #8 fairly cheap at the hardware store

Firerock , Gator , Bigfoot,Lil Wrangler, Army Hummer, Big Jake , Sarge Army Jeep ,JSO Police Hummer ,BACKDRAFT Monster Truck,Present Day Bigfoot

Go to Top of Page

Taz11
Advanced Modder

Bloomsbury (08804)
NJ

3739 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  14:03:42  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

I really need to find the charger to my electric screwdriver...

Wow, you could assemble 16 jeeps with those

Go to Top of Page

nachonator15

Florida
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  06:50:37  Show Profile
Hi gseric69,

Do you remember were you bought the duratrax motors, heatsinks, gears, etc? My son has the same bike and I'd like to add a little bit of speed to it.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  07:07:43  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by nachonator15

Hi gseric69,

Do you remember were you bought the duratrax motors, heatsinks, gears, etc? My son has the same bike and I'd like to add a little bit of speed to it.

Thanks

Originally I got the Duratrax motors and 21T Pinion gears from from Tower Hobbies www.towerhobbies.com
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMTY8&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXF67&P=7

The heatsinks I got off Ebay, since they were cheaper there then any of the stores I found them on.
Here is the heatsink from Tower Hobbies, it's $4.79 from them
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJD62&P=7

But I ordered two from RCBoyz on Ebay for $9.99 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370278964193

If you end up ordering the motors and gears from Tower Hobbies, then it might just be easier to get the heatinks from them too since shipping price might not be that much difference in that case.

Go to Top of Page

nachonator15

Florida
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  16:45:32  Show Profile
gseric69,

Thanks a lot, this is clearly going to help me!

Now to your Bat Harley, are you running with the 2x6v batteries that came with it or did you upgrade? If so, what battery are you using?

One of the things that I realized about my son's Harley is that the High switch does not work on forward but does in reverse. I'm sure I will be able to fix it but I first want to get all the parts in for the mod and do all in one shot.

Another thing that I want to do is get him some new wheels... do you know where I can find these?

Sorry to bother you with these many questions but it seems that you have gone through most of the changes I want to do to the bike already.

Take care and thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  16:52:04  Show Profile
quote:

One of the things that I realized about my son's Harley is that the High switch does not work on forward but does in reverse. I'm sure I will be able to fix it but I first want to get all the parts in for the mod and do all in one shot.

That sounds like the plug to the FWD/REV switch is backwards...

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  20:08:57  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:

gseric69,

Thanks a lot, this is clearly going to help me!

Now to your Bat Harley, are you running with the 2x6v batteries that came with it or did you upgrade? If so, what battery are you using?

Another thing that I want to do is get him some new wheels... do you know where I can find these?

Sorry to bother you with these many questions but it seems that you have gone through most of the changes I want to do to the bike already.

No worries on the questions, we're all here to help.

I ended up putting a set of 6V 12AH Power-Sonic batteries in the Bat Bike that I had. They are the same size as the Fisher-Price Red 6V's so they dropped right in without any modifications. The Duratrax motors draw a lot more amps than the stock motors, so putting batteries in with more AH is going to help with the run time.

I agree with Divinar on the switch being backwards. It's not hard to do with these harleys either.

What wheels do you need for the Harley? I have lots of the front and rear wheels that are still in good shape, and I also have a set of the drive wheels that aren't too bad.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  20:40:17  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Connor loves the Bat Bike. He finally got some nice weather today to ride it too.

Now it's time to finally get started on the Trike. I think I'm going to start off with 19T gearboxes and some 14" wheels. It'll be 12V with an 18V turbo similar to the way I setup the Sun Jammer (Which is still out of commission with a burned up motor)

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  10:27:58  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Well, due to the wet weather all day yesterday, the PW's didn't get to go out trick or treating, but here are a couple of shots with it.

Go to Top of Page

nachonator15

Florida
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  11:11:17  Show Profile
Those are really nice pictures!! We went trick-or-treating yesterday since the weather was gorgeous here in FL; but I had the motorcycle taken apart trying to figure out what was wrong with the high/low speed. I have tried almost every single thing and I'm up to the point now that when measuring the voltage at the switches I get the 12VDC when in High and 6VDC when in low. But when I hook up the motor/pedal wire and step on the pedal, the motors only see 6VDC at either speed.

I have followed the wiring diagrams shown on http://modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2236 (first picture on the left) down to the T but I can't seem to get either motor voltage to be 12VDC.

I'll keep on trying until I figure it out, I mean after all, I'm an engineer and I can't let this beat me...
Go to Top of Page

nachonator15

Florida
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  13:11:30  Show Profile
I think the problem is with the motors. It has to be that their secondary windings for higher rated voltage that is damaged and hence the reason why they only work at 6VDC and not 12VDC. I can't think of anything else as I tried connecting the motors directly to a 12VDC line and still don't work, only when hooked up to 6VDC.

With that said, I'm going to be making the switch now to some Traxxas Titan 550 21 Turn Motor 14.4v with the 32P (21T) Gear Pinion suggested as well as the heat sinks. Plus buying a 12VDC battery so can I crank up 18VDC.

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get the parts in.

Thanks a lot for the help!

quote:

Those are really nice pictures!! We went trick-or-treating yesterday since the weather was gorgeous here in FL; but I had the motorcycle taken apart trying to figure out what was wrong with the high/low speed. I have tried almost every single thing and I'm up to the point now that when measuring the voltage at the switches I get the 12VDC when in High and 6VDC when in low. But when I hook up the motor/pedal wire and step on the pedal, the motors only see 6VDC at either speed.

I have followed the wiring diagrams shown on http://modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2236 (first picture on the left) down to the T but I can't seem to get either motor voltage to be 12VDC.

I'll keep on trying until I figure it out, I mean after all, I'm an engineer and I can't let this beat me...

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  13:50:01  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:

I
With that said, I'm going to be making the switch now to some Traxxas Titan 550 21 Turn Motor 14.4v with the 32P (21T) Gear Pinion suggested as well as the heat sinks. Plus buying a 12VDC battery so can I crank up 18VDC.

I'd have to agree with you and say it's the motor if it's not working with direct voltage like that. Don't forget to order one of those 21T Traxxas motors with reverse rotation to get the most out of them.
Here's the link to them again if you need it.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12730

Go to Top of Page

nachonator15

Florida
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  16:23:42  Show Profile
Thanks!! For this motorcycle it should be 2 550 motors with reverse rotation, right? As both wheels turn in reverse at the same time. I just want to make sure I order the right stuff.

Take care,

quote:

quote:

I

I'd have to agree with you and say it's the motor if it's not working with direct voltage like that. Don't forget to order one of those 21T Traxxas motors with reverse rotation to get the most out of them.
Here's the link to them again if you need it.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12730

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  16:27:22  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:

Thanks!! For this motorcycle it should be 2 550 motors with reverse rotation, right? As both wheels turn in reverse at the same time. I just want to make sure I order the right stuff.

Take care,

You need one regular and one reverse rotation because the motors spin opposite when mounted in the Harley (and all ride ons for that matter)

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  07:51:56  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Finished up Harley #2 yesterday. This one is stock and was rebuilt using the new Harley parts I got. It's probably got around 80% brand new unused parts in it. The main body lower halves, gearboxes and motors, rear wheel and gas tank are the old used parts on it. Problem was, I didn't get a gas tank with the lot. I painted one of the extra faded tanks I had with Krylon Fusion Red, but it's too dark, so I'm going to see if I can find a paint that matches the plastic color more closely.
I did clean out and regrease the GBs, and put a good set of motors on it, so this thing is as close to new as can be. Hopefully it can be sold to help out for Christmas, so I want it to look good.

Edited by - gseric69 on 11/09/2009 07:53:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: