These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Read This First (FAQ's)
 FAQ - Dumar Yamaha Raptor 18v Upgrade How-To
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ecoclean
Senior Modder

coopersburg
pa
USA

1184 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  23:20:09  Show Profile  Visit ecoclean's Homepage
Finally got my pics to resixe correctly. Ok, i upgraded my sons raptor 660R to 18v and figured i would share a step by step on how to do it. I asked several members and used this site for all my info. Thanks alot, can't say how helpful you all were. This is the way i decided to wire it. There are different options, but i went with this one. I have had it on 18v for a couple of months and no problem yet with the circuit board or battery overheating or wires melting. I DO NOT have any traction aids on the tires. One it never needed them and two i don't know if that will cause to much strain on your system. I have found 18v on this quad to be faster than a PW on 18v. GOOD LUCK

First, cut out the 2nd rib back from the seat front. I outlined which rib to cut.

67.97 KB

Next, take the casing off the stock battery and cut the connector off. Then crimp on FEMALE spade/bullet connectors to the battery wires.

58.72 KB

Next, crimp on MALE spade/bullet connectors to the battery plug. You can see the 1/4 inch thick piece of foam i use to keep the batteries from touching.

46.26 KB

Next, make a negative wire connector for your wiring. The wire is about 6 inches with FEMALE spade connectors on it.

58.17 KB

Next, take a 30 amp fuse, i used a mini fuse, haven't blown one yet and crimp on 1 Female and 1 Male spade connector.

34.39 KB

Next is just a picture of the 6v battery is used. It's a universal 6v 12ah. Make sure whatever you use is the same AH rating.

44.51 KB

Next, put the stock battery in the holder.

51.27 KB

Next put the POSITIVE wire to the stock plug.

49.95 KB from the connector to the POSITIVE of the stock battery.

Next put the FUSE on the POSITIVE on the 2nd battery.

51.7 KB

Next lay the foam on top of the stock battery and put the 2nd battery on its side on top.

53.9 KB

Next connect the FUSE to the NEGATIVE on battery 1.

49.46 KB

Next connect the NEGATIVE from battery 2 to the NEGATIVE on the stock plug.

51.72 KB

Next connect the plugs. That is , you are done. NOW, MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE CONNECTIONS WITH EITHER ELECTRICAL TAPE OR SHRINK WRAP<----PREFERABLLY. Tuck your wires/connections away and put the seat on. Last pick is just showing the power meter.

38.06 KB

3-Gaucho's 18v
Gaucho-Silver 18v (wip)
Driveway Racer X5
6x4x4 Gator - WIP
Yamaha Raptor 660r 18v
Eliminator 19t, 12v wip
Lifted Beach Rescue Jeep
X Machine - 21t 18v wip
JD Power Pull
Dial Corvette
Super BigFoot x 2
Barbie Vette

www.environmentallycleanoption.com

Edited by - gseric69 on 09/03/2009 05:54:38

rollndice83
Expert Modder

Lansdale
PA
USA

850 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  07:31:03  Show Profile
Nice how-to. Man those UB battery's look familiar

When 18V is to slow...Time to go to 50cc quads
88 Super 6Volt Corvette Project
90 Suzuki Quad Super6 on 12V
12V F-150
12V Suzuki 3-Wheeler(2WD Super6)Current Project
Lifted Fire Rescue Jeep(Upgrading to 21T 18V)
WildThing Super6 Volt
12V Harley(WIP)
Original 6V PW Hot Rod
Go to Top of Page

jschramm97

St. Louis
Missouri
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  19:22:02  Show Profile  Visit jschramm97's Homepage
I acquired 2 raptors over the weekend for free from a co-worker. She thought they didn't' work. I let both batteries charge for 2 days and both raptors function perfectly. The bodies are a bit worn but thats okay. Anyways my question was, what type of speed improvement did you see going from 12v to 18v?

Also what type of runtime do you get out of it? The current 12v's i have get me about 35-40 minutes so i assume they will need to be replaced before i perform this mod.

Collection:
Raptor 660 - WiP
Raptor 660 - Stock
Barbie Jeep - Stock
Go to Top of Page

ecoclean
Senior Modder

coopersburg
pa
USA

1184 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  06:42:00  Show Profile  Visit ecoclean's Homepage
When the quad was new the Yuasa battery would give my son about 2-3 hrs of run time, he was only 25lbs then. Now with the 3 Year old Yuasa and new 6v 12ah, it lasts for about an hour. Well if going to 18v gives you 1.5 mph faster than stock on a PW, i would say it gave just about 2 mph improvement. When next to an 18v PW, it will pull away.

3-Gaucho's 18v
Gaucho-Silver 18v (wip)
Driveway Racer X5
6x4x4 Gator - WIP
Yamaha Raptor 660r 18v
Eliminator 19t, 12v wip
Lifted Beach Rescue Jeep
X Machine - 21t 18v wip
JD Power Pull
Dial Corvette
Super BigFoot x 2
Barbie Vette

Go to Top of Page

jschramm97

St. Louis
Missouri
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  10:03:06  Show Profile  Visit jschramm97's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ecoclean

When the quad was new the Yuasa battery would give my son about 2-3 hrs of run time, he was only 25lbs then. Now with the 3 Year old Yuasa and new 6v 12ah, it lasts for about an hour. Well if going to 18v gives you 1.5 mph faster than stock on a PW, i would say it gave just about 2 mph improvement. When next to an 18v PW, it will pull away.

Then it almost sounds like this battery is right where it should be. My daughter and I both rode it yesterday, then it had another 20 minutes with my buddy's daughter. It does sound like the 18v mod is worth it. But first i'm thinking of repainting the body black to cover the fading and rust on the handle bars.

Anyways here's a vid of my daughter and I testing it yesterday. http://vimeo.com/6399864

The joy's of being small. :)

Collection:
Raptor 660 - WiP
Raptor 660 - Stock
Barbie Jeep - Stock
Go to Top of Page

jschramm97

St. Louis
Missouri
USA

5 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  10:38:20  Show Profile  Visit jschramm97's Homepage
I also noticed i don't have the power LED or the fuses in the battery compartment, should I stay away from the 18v mod? Do i have a different model then yours?

Collection:
Raptor 660 - WiP
Raptor 660 - Stock
Barbie Jeep - Stock
Go to Top of Page

ecoclean
Senior Modder

coopersburg
pa
USA

1184 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:14:26  Show Profile  Visit ecoclean's Homepage
You may, mine is 3 or so years old, its a 660R with the control box. I know they removed the control box on the newer ones and i think they cahnged the name to a 700?? You may have an older one that didn't have the battery meter, not sure if they removed it one the newer ones. Mine also has a sound box on the left handle bar with 3 buttons for engine noises. As far as staying away from 18v, No just be sure to add at least a 30 amp fuse to each positive of the batteries. If using the stock battery, it will have one already on it. Now if yours doesn't have the top casing and extra fuses, just check to make sure there is one. I got my fuse holders for $4.95 each and 30 amp mini fuses for $5.00 for 10 at Pep Boys. If you follow this step by step, it's not that hard, takes maybe 20 minutes, maybe if you have all the pieces there.

3-Gaucho's 18v
Gaucho-Silver 18v (wip)
Driveway Racer X5
6x4x4 Gator - WIP
Yamaha Raptor 660r 18v
Eliminator 19t, 12v wip
Lifted Beach Rescue Jeep
X Machine - 21t 18v wip
JD Power Pull
Dial Corvette
Super BigFoot x 2
Barbie Vette

Go to Top of Page

ecoclean
Senior Modder

coopersburg
pa
USA

1184 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:18:29  Show Profile  Visit ecoclean's Homepage
looks like she already is doing tricks. Cool how she raised both her hands and had a big smile. You should definately go to 18v, it's alot faster than that.

3-Gaucho's 18v
Gaucho-Silver 18v (wip)
Driveway Racer X5
6x4x4 Gator - WIP
Yamaha Raptor 660r 18v
Eliminator 19t, 12v wip
Lifted Beach Rescue Jeep
X Machine - 21t 18v wip
JD Power Pull
Dial Corvette
Super BigFoot x 2
Barbie Vette

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  17:22:04  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
Excellent write up, I think it's FAQ worthy.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page

ecoclean
Senior Modder

coopersburg
pa
USA

1184 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:24:22  Show Profile  Visit ecoclean's Homepage
Really, from a moderator that's awsome, thank you. i am making up for my AMAV fumble earlier today. I know there are not alot of dumars out there that's why i posted it.

3-Gaucho's 18v
Gaucho-Silver 18v (wip)
Driveway Racer X5
6x4x4 Gator - WIP
Yamaha Raptor 660r 18v
Eliminator 19t, 12v wip
Lifted Beach Rescue Jeep
X Machine - 21t 18v wip
JD Power Pull
Dial Corvette
Super BigFoot x 2
Barbie Vette