These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Modifications by Category
 Batteries and Wiring
 Jeep Wrangler 78490 battery
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aubietiger99

Phenix City
AL
USA

18 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  20:47:09  Show Profile
Over the weekend I picked up a decent Jeep wrangler but it had never been changed over as part of the factory recall. So today I took it to our local service center to have the battery cable changed and I asked about having it setup so I could use a 12v battery instead of 2 6v batteries as everything I have is 12v and they told me that I couldn't but I know they only told me that because they are liscensed through PW so what I wanna know is what I would need to have to make the jeep for 12v battery and charger.I figure some how this is possible if it is stated as 12v vehicle anyways. Thanks in advance

AuBiEtIgEr99
Take-A-Long Tunes Barbie Jeep x 2
Silverado 1500
Red Mustang
Gator (project)
Barbie Dune Beetle (project)
Cruisin Tunes Barbie Jeep(project)
Jeep Wrangler(project)
peg pergeo John Deere Power Pull(project)
Grave Digger

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  05:34:48  Show Profile
If it has the 2 wire lead to the plug then all you would need is the newer plug. If it has the 4 wire lead then you are going to loose a gear. If you do have the 4 wire system you could always just change the whole harness over to the newer system with the newer plug.

Go to Top of Page

digart

Canada

2 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  09:36:11  Show Profile  Visit digart's Homepage
I got my son's ride-on completely rewired to switch from two 6v to one 12v. But - I have 12v motors and original 6v batteries were connected in serial.
I also put away original trickle charger and use my Motomaster Nautilus for charging new battery.

Some info and diagrams are here:
http://www.diyillustrated.com/?p=10

Hope, it will help.

Keep it running - www.diyillustrated.com
Live Green ! - www.greenathome.ca

Edited by - digart on 08/12/2009 09:43:19
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  09:50:29  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I hope you aren't using a 12V car battery like that link is advocating. Be sure to only use sealed lead acid batteries, otherwise you could have some very serious accidents.

As for Aubietiger99's original post, if your dual 6V connector does have 4 wires leading back (meaninig the batteries are wired in paralle), then follow the instructions here
http://modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=937

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)

Edited by - gseric69 on 08/12/2009 09:57:58
Go to Top of Page

Divinar

San Jose 95123
CA
USA

3057 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  13:16:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by digart

Some info and diagrams are here:
http://www.diyillustrated.com/?p=10

Aside from the battery choice, I do like the wiring to make forward fast, and reverse slow. I'd been trying to figure out how to do that with only the DPDT switch for a while...

Escalade (Rubber tires, LED lights, Key switch, Remote Kill, wings. Wings?)
Lil Wrangler (2WD, 12v, Lights), Dora Jeep (Super-6 @ 12v, lights), Jeep Enforcer turned Aftershock (18v, WIP),
Grape Gaucho A151 (24v, scooter controller, WIP)
KFX Quad (Remote Kill), Crushmeister! (Silverado), Limited Edition Jeep (Stock)
Kawasaki Mojave 250 (Stock), PP Gator (Lights), Home Depot Loader, Lightning McQueen (Stock)
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  13:38:34  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
I agree. I hope I didn't run him off. I just don't want to see people going out and stuffing car batteries in their kids' rides. That would be a good diagram to add to the FAQ.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: