FC's - Dune beetle VW project

Printed from: Modified Power Wheels
Topic URL: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15516
Printed on: 09/22/2019

Topic:

Topic author: flame_chick
Subject: FC's - Dune beetle VW project
Posted on: 02/16/2010 20:58:11
havent even taken it apart yet, but getting the "before" pics up...
got this for free from a family member.

Replies:

Reply author: turbokev
Replied on: 02/17/2010 10:04:22
I'll be watching this one come along,
I've got the exact same VW in about the same shape to do as well

What do you plan to do with yours?
I'm going with a Herbie the love bug theme on mine~

Reply author: flame_chick
Replied on: 02/17/2010 18:08:39
Herbie sounds cool! at least you have a hood, and a non cracked rear crossbar, lol. I wonder what they did with the hood to ours.?! blah..
I was thinking of painting it purple and black.. purple exterior w black accents, black interior, and the seats, black with purple inner..
whatcha think??
I was thinking it was girl-ish, but not too girly..

Reply author: Modmom32
Replied on: 02/18/2010 17:14:59
Hey glad someone is going to i posted i wanted too but didn't want to invest $ and just sell mine. Good for you, have fun with that.i have 2 and thought it all the way through and well, just going to sell them

quote:
Originally posted by turbokev

I'll be watching this one come along,
I've got the exact same VW in about the same shape to do as well

What do you plan to do with yours?
I'm going with a Herbie the love bug theme on mine~

Insert Image:

Reply author: KillinIt
Replied on: 02/22/2010 06:24:46
Heres what I did to my girls bug.

90.16 KB

51.41 KB

Reply author: Taz11
Replied on: 02/22/2010 06:38:44
Those last 2 are 6v beetles, they are quite a bit smaller than the Dune Beetle. That being said, that lifted one is pretty wild.

Replied on: 02/22/2010 17:37:55
yeah whoa that is crazy looking!
I seatched UPS delivery, I should have batteries tonight

Reply author: Modmom32
Replied on: 02/24/2010 01:37:26
you are right both times....both are the small 6volts, and that monster bug is BAD!!!!that thing looks like it is ready to smash anything...lol.
I like the 12v, But, My original plan was to paint up this lil one as herbie and swap out the dora stickers so the dora car has good stickers and Herbie would still sale . I planned on swapping out motor for scooter motor to turn axel for torque so on 24v...wheelie bar can be used (first on raceday).Found nice decals for it too. anyway, Good luck. I may just doit but i am looking forward to your finished project. no matter what you have better car to do better job soooooo.... have fun!!!

Replied on: 03/20/2010 19:57:16
I think this thing is pretty much done, except for maybe some decals, maybe some lights, lol.
wish I woulda sanded it before the paint, maybe next time HA..
pics show without hood, I got it in and its running too, thanks mustangfreak, just had to paint the hood, its done now, needing new pics from today.. these are from yesterday

Reply author: ricam78
Replied on: 03/20/2010 20:00:16
quote:
Originally posted by flame_chick

I think this thing is pretty much done, except for maybe some decals, maybe some lights, lol.
wish I woulda sanded it before the paint, maybe next time HA..
pics show without hood, I got it in and its running too, thanks mustangfreak, just had to paint the hood, its done now, needing new pics from today.. these are from yesterday

Is that a Fisher Price battery I see in there? You didnt spend money on that did you!

Replied on: 03/20/2010 20:05:43
lol, no. I got 2 12V batteries when I got the twin PW jeeps, they seem to hold a charge just fine! BUT the kids dont like them because they are so used to 18V not, I just havent figured how to get the 12V gruber and the 6V gruber to fit in the thing. guess I should do a search or make a post regarding this :P

Reply author: Dylan13
Replied on: 03/20/2010 20:08:39
quote:

lol, no. I got 2 12V batteries when I got the twin PW jeeps, they seem to hold a charge just fine! BUT the kids dont like them because they are so used to 18V not, I just havent figured how to get the 12V gruber and the 6V gruber to fit in the thing. guess I should do a search or make a post regarding this :P

Looks like you could almost put the 6volt on top of the stock 12v, just lay it on its side and strap it down, there's a ton of room under the hood

Replied on: 03/20/2010 20:08:59
quote:

Run a 10ga set of wires from the back the the front. Take the connector from the stock battery hook it to the front ends of the wires and plug it to the stock harness vehicle plug and hook the back set of wires you ran to the batteries in there new home in the back of the bug or under the seat, but it looks like they will fit behind the seat.

Replied on: 03/20/2010 21:33:58
that sounds like a good fix... though theres no under the seat, just open to the ground, and the back piece cover goes under the seats which are screwed down. I would have to now figure out a way for it to be accessible to get them
(the batteries) in an out easier, like with maybe a hinge or something...hmmm

Reply author: wrencher
Replied on: 03/20/2010 21:42:45
you could cut out that vw logo part on the back part that covers the back and put a hinge on that..just the raised part with logo..

Replied on: 03/21/2010 07:34:25
quote:
Originally posted by wrencher

you could cut out that vw logo part on the back part that covers the back and put a hinge on that..just the raised part with logo..

Why would you have to get to them? The charging is still done up front under the hood via the stock plug from the current battery. My gator battery is under the back bed which is VERY hard to get to, but I never have to get back there unless the battery goes bad.

Replied on: 03/21/2010 08:24:43
quote:
Originally posted by ricam78

quote:

Why would you have to get to them? The charging is still done up front under the hood via the stock plug from the current battery. My gator battery is under the back bed which is VERY hard to get to, but I never have to get back there unless the battery goes bad.

i know it was just an idea for her if she wanted to put them in back

Replied on: 03/21/2010 08:38:34
oh, because I cheaped out and only bough 2 6v and 2 12v, for 18v for each girl, so I move the batts around to whatever they want to ride in at the moment, and charge them outside of the vehicles.... :/
plus I couldnt charge the 6 and 12 together..... guess I shoulda got all 6Vs lol.. so if I did that (all 6vs) how would I hook them to run and then charger?

Replied on: 03/21/2010 08:38:48
Sorry about that wrencher. I hit reply to the wrong reply, I meant to hit that for hers. I got up too early this morning!

Reply author: Divinar
Replied on: 03/21/2010 09:31:51
quote:

oh, because I cheaped out and only bough 2 6v and 2 12v, for 18v for each girl, so I move the batts around to whatever they want to ride in at the moment, and charge them outside of the vehicles.... :/
plus I couldnt charge the 6 and 12 together..... guess I shoulda got all 6Vs lol.. so if I did that (all 6vs) how would I hook them to run and then charger?

Simple way? Three switches.

TurboKev used it here:http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15638

Fancy way? A block of relays to automatically switch them from series to parallel for charging.
See the diagram I did for JPartham's Extreme Machine
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15425

Replied on: 03/21/2010 15:39:17
quote:

Sorry about that wrencher. I hit reply to the wrong reply, I meant to hit that for hers. I got up too early this morning!

no biggey just an idea...

Replied on: 03/21/2010 17:27:33
quote:

quote:

no biggey just an idea...

wrencher, the more I look at this pic, themore I think that hinge idea is a good one. Either a hinge, of she can cut the tabs off or whatever screws them down under the seat and use industrial velcro to hold that rear panel on back there. That way, it can be taken on or off easily.

34.44 KB

61.18 KB

Also put velcro on the backside also in 2 spots.

Replied on: 03/23/2010 21:18:56
ah yes, that sounds like an excellent idea!
well I have some better pics, and you can see some up close pics.
I had to pry off the front windshield because I forgot to put on a part, so the paint got flaked bad, I was being rough too as I was annoyed that I 1, forgot the piece, and 2 I couldnt get the windshield off easily haha!
these PW badges are the ones I painted with testors paint
and close up of the tops of the "doors" showing the pitted spots, shoulda sanded :(
and this color also shows dirty hand prints really bad

Reply author: hotrodtodd
Replied on: 03/24/2010 07:07:28
Nice job on the paint detail,like the seats! I know what you mean by getting rough,I tend to loose it sometimes and just break it!

Modified Power Wheels : http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/

© Modified Power Wheels 2010

Close Window